KYK711D Vitesse 1600/6 Convertible - Head Gasket

martyn wright

Hi!  I fitted a new Head Gasket 208652 and torqued down 4.7-6.3.(As Shown in the Manual)  I had compression on 5 of the 6 cylinders before I fitted the gasket but now I have none?  Any Ideas?   Could it be that the Head Gasket is incorrect for this 1600/6?  I had the Head Skimmed and all the valves seated and compression tested!

doesnt matter much 

the triumph manual says coat with sealer but doesnt state what

wellseal is an old fashioned shellac type sealer and  would have been used in the day , dont use anything slippery ie silicon (maybe a light smear aound the rocker  feed hole .

HG have to grip as the head shuffles(pants) a lot in use 

has your engine been over bored????

1600 and Mk1 2ltr suffer from poor washer quality and need hard nuts to take the torque specified 

washer faces deform in use and you loose clamping  on all the   6cyl  3/8"  Stud heads so clamping is limited to being a bit finnicky

are you removing the head again??? as gaskets dont suffer reuse very well and its not advised 

pete

dont know what to say Ive never had a problem with my `1600 head and she was bored +20 from memory 

is the head face Flat ??   has any stud been over pulled in the past and the block is risen around the stud hole ??

when you drop the gasket on the head or block do all the holes align ok for coolant/oil etc.

what state are the valves  do a leak test    ie fill chamber with something runny , does it leak past the seats ??

grabbing at straws now 

Pete

was compression test done with all plugs out and throttles open ???

Hi Pete!  Since my last message, I have contacted "Canley" and they have told me that the original Head Gasket  I have is NOT copper but Tin!  and the part they sent me was an Original Stanpart Gasket but it looks like I have had it,  upside down (Lipped edge down) instead of UP!  so I will refit it this pm hopefully?  Thanks for the input!

its always been a conundrum which way up for the steel shim gasket

as per the workshop manuals  good old triumph do not give any clues  

dave is always on the ball but as its clamped between two similar faces i cant see why lip up\ lip down makes any real difference in how the gasket seals 

go with it   let us know if you get better success 

Pete

thats interesting result  

as you say  dont know why is all part of the fun /frustrations of classic foible's

you would think if its that critical the gasket is marked  Top or the WSM has some reference to help with the clues 

Triumph had a knack of always leaving out the one snippet of information you need to know   ....was that deliberate or  know one  their knew either  

Pete 

On 13/10/2021 at 07:46, martyn wright said:

Hi !  Just to say that my Vitesse has just "Started"  for the first time in 23Years!  Since 1997 Yippee!

Very satisfying getting an engine running after many years.
During our first lockdown last year I got my Vitesse 6 running, it has been started sporadically over the 36 years the car has been in bits but this time it was with nearly everything hooked up as it should be. Apart from the fuel lines so I use the baked bean tin fuel system.

Got to work out why oil does not seem to be at rocker shaft which I stripped and rebuilt last year as it was a hotchpotch of Mk2 and Mk1 parts. 

1 hour ago, ahebron said:

was a hotchpotch of Mk2 and Mk1 parts

had to do that on my 1600 as replacment rocker set was MK2   and it needs all the pedestals and end caps changing as the mk2 is longer

and wont fit under the rocker cover  but never had a oil feed problem   

so  i  wonder if your   rear pedestal has not got the drilled hole  oilway hole ???

22 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

had to do that on my 1600 as replacment rocker set was MK2   and it needs all the pedestals and end caps changing as the mk2 is longer

and wont fit under the rocker cover  but never had a oil feed problem   

so  i  wonder if your   rear pedestal has not got the drilled hole  oilway hole ???

Thanks Pete thats worth a look as I rebuilt it using the best of a whole bunch of Mk1 parts