Gearbox Fulcrum Pin Herald 1200

Colin

Hi Chaps,

It's currently in situ, but I noted whilst doing something else - and quickly whacked back in, the clutch fork fulcrum pin wanting to make it's way up and out of its proper flush position!

Does this mean the tolerance ring is a bit worn/naff and no longer fit for purpose? And if so, can I/would I be able to whizz it out and replace both items whilst it IS still in situ?

I have a nasty feeling this would really be a split the gearbox from the engine job . . . 

Would rather not keep banging it back in position with all the regular observation that'd go with it every few miles . . . 

Best,

Colin (W)

normally they fall out the bottom and if you had to whack it back in it must be fairly tightly held in place, maybe it was put in like that. You can't replace the tolerance ring with gearbox in place, but you may be able to replace the pin with one like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203607071708?fits=Model%3ASpitfire&hash=item2f67ed5bdc:g:3JsAAOSwikBcWbJT

which has a head on that will stop on the bronze bush carefully knocking the old out with the new. Personally I would just keep an eye on it and see if it moves.

the tolerance ring is often rusted and broken up its a pretty poor design  , it may have worked ok for decades but     +1 for the pin suggested by Dan

fit with a careful tap tap  and new in pushes old out 

even a long shanked bolt can work for years or a rod with a split pin in the top  theres been many bright ideas to make a replacement without pulling the box off

even if the pin is missing you can fiddle a realign and fit a replacement from above   at least you can see the thing its not hidden under the tunnel 

Pete

It's amazing what I've found used over the years, but the stocky one in the photo is the uprated version that should take a while to wear and so fall out. If you're going to replace I'd replace all including the bronze bushes and the crinkle washer / tolerance ring. (note that in the photo the bushes are both upside down ie the flanged end is closest to the washer when fitted)

DSCF0934.jpg.ea69998d491c14b1fd95e9e2595b49c0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gents,

Again, something I last did in France . . . change of clutch and starter flywheel ring. Probably used the same crinkle interference fit washer which to be fair would not have been as brill as when new . . . but it was our main car with another off the road!

Colin L. Really . . . those bushes are flange to flange when in place, over the interference fit washer?? I don’t recall that I have to say. But I deffo bow down  . . . . 😀

Best All.

C.

1 hour ago, Colin said:

Colin L. Really . . . those bushes are flange to flange when in place, over the interference fit washer?? I don’t recall that I have to say. But I deffo bow down  . . . . 😀

Best All.

C.

Yes, they push into the bellhousing from the inside, not from outside top and bottom... otherwise the bottom one would simply drop off. The clutch release lever pivots on the wider flange. I didn't want anyone to look at the photo and think they fitted into the arm itself.

DSCF1819.jpg.c04c1d54f8ace2d211e7ae9a6e22ca0e.jpg

The 2 bushes are the other way around but fit into the bell housing, the crinkle bit goes into the release arm. One warning, when I did mine I found that a lot of the pins supplied are slightly too thick and left the arm without enough wiggle to move freely (probably nearest metric size) the one I referenced above was fine. so do make sure that the arm moves freely