Clutch release bearing carrier - different sizes, which model?

Colin Lindsay

I've rebuilt two entire gearbox / bellhousing assemblies for my two Herald restorations and am currently on another for the 13/60. The early 1200 convertible originally had coil spring but is now fitted with diaphragm, the later 1200 Estate has diaphragm, and I'm assuming the 13/60 convertible has diaphragm too.

What has just struck me is the different size of bearing carrier. I've used the longer in all three, but with the diaphragm bearing. I had assumed that the coil used the shorter and the diaphragm the longer. Unfortunately whilst looking for a spare to rebuild in advance of the stripdown I've found short with diaphragm bearings and long with coil bearings. So: confusion reigns, and I'm desperately hoping I'll not have to split two engine / bellhousing assemblies in the near future...

Does anyone know why there were two different lengths of bearing carrier, and if they were, or were not, linked to the clutch type?

AB232E67-D932-491F-87B6-AAC8D83FEED7_1_105_c.jpg.9e99f68537e6c4e97a654050ad5c0d2d.jpg  BFFDF773-23BA-4779-8BD7-59F0A5979327_1_105_c.jpg.7f90bd4114729a949fb4f63d9208fbb0.jpg

If you're anywhere near it, Pete, it'll help. I was happy to fit the longer version to mine until I read recently that the Spitfire had the longer, and the Herald the shorter due to differences in cylinder sizes etc, (it was a US Triumph forum, quite an elderly post) and while I think that may be an error I'll not be happy now until I can confirm one way or the other..., 

43 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I read recently that the Spitfire had the longer, and the Herald the shorter due to differences in cylinder sizes

I'm pretty sure that's complete nonsense. Canleys list the same parts for 13/60 and Spitfire III/IV, which I'm sure is correct. The Spitfire Mk1/2 will be the same as Herald 1200, too.

The shape of the release bearings is different. I presume the flat faced one is for coil spring, the domed one diaphragm?

No difference in cylinder sizes between herald and spitfire when fitted with the same clutch type. But coil spring slave different to diaphragm type. 

1 hour ago, clive said:

The shape of the release bearings is different. I presume the flat faced one is for coil spring, the domed one diaphragm?

No difference in cylinder sizes between herald and spitfire when fitted with the same clutch type. But coil spring slave different to diaphragm type. 

The flat bearing is for the flat face of the coil clutch cover, and the curved one is for the splines of the diaphragm clutch. They can't be interchanged.

I've converted all three cars to diaphragm from a stock of spares - flywheel, clutch unit and slave cylinder - and I'd have guessed that all would use the longer carrier for the diaphragm clutch if it hadn't been for the photo above with the flat coil bearing on the longer carrier, and vice versa with the other, plus erroneous posts on other forums that claim the early Spitfire used the shorter, but Heralds, the longer.

None of the major suppliers are any help; the website diagrams on Canleys and Rimmers state the 125374 carrier is for coil, but show no photographs. If I search for 139563, which I think is the diaphragm carrier, I get the info that it's superseded - use 213032, which is the entire release lever. I just need to confirm that 125374 is the shorter and fits all coil clutches, and the 139563 is the longer version which fits all diaphragm clutches, regardless of model, and they're not interchangeable for any reason.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If you're anywhere near it, Pete, it'll help. I was happy to fit the longer version to mine until I read recently that the Spitfire had the longer, and the Herald the shorter due to differences in cylinder sizes etc, (it was a US Triumph forum, quite an elderly post) and while I think that may be an error I'll not be happy now until I can confirm one way or the other..., 

"I can see clearly (Haley) Now the (Lor)rain has gone"!. This is what mine looks like.:-

image.png.4b143327b498dc76c89cf823e5193ea8.png

image.png.718faf9fcdd963e2ebd444339b2eeac7.png

image.png.aa23493f96c06d9a893e0d246d6fdb2a.png

Pete
  • Thanks 1