Head Gasket Sealant

Pettifordo

I have a 1500 engine to re-assemble and it is 30 years since I did such a thing - I tried Googling what sealant to use on the head gasket but seem to get various answers about copper gaskets - can anyone recommend something and also for the timing chain cover, water pump etc / I have all the gaskets 👍

Modern (For classics!) composite head gaskets are surfaced with a thermosetting material, that softens and then hardens with the inital heat of the engine.  Payen is a well-known make that has this.     If you have bought a set of gaskets for your mooth, rebuild, and the head gaslet is not copper, then probably it's one of those.   No sealant needed - it has its own!   The surface unused is smooth, almost black with slightly rippled finish.

Others, there are many to choose from, take your pick.  I use Hylomar Blue, unless it will face petrol, in which case I use Hematite.      The Blue is available as an aerosol spray, which makes getting an even coating easy, but it is costly!

John

head gaskets need to have grip you dont want anything slippery on the clamping faces 

the heads pant around enough without making it ' easy'

head nuts and washers must be high quality most std washers will deform under the nut and loose torque 

mini spares flanged nuts a re best  as a std 3/8 nut will strip at the 42-46lbft torque  

the  specified  high spec head nuts are generally black oiled finish (ie special)

Pete