Triumph dashboards - who supplies these days?

Colin Lindsay

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

http://www.sovereigncarsales.co.uk/Classic_gridpos10.aspx

This is a Spitfire for sale, seems nicely done. I managed to find a couple of photos:

962811362_Spitwalnutdoorcappings.jpg.ae0bc317b6f55f86dcc0fc7ff698fa48.jpg  1042145144_ScreenShot2022-02-01at13_34_33.png.f1f126567359a7fdc113f9f0a825a05b.png

There's a difference in the fitting in those two above; one has two pairs of screws and the other three in a row.

If you search online for 'Triumph Spitfire wooden door cappings' there's a lot of discussion on them in various forums. 

I like the first (top) pic. That looks like Burr Walnut..  Stick`s Like S***. will bond most "wood" these days even harder getting it off again!. The Vitesse had capping`s. No reason why you could not "pimp" a 13/60 with them? (mine). Apart from the "originality" argument?. Seeing that It already has electric PAS, and will get a brake servo added to the MX5 seats and retractable seat belts. I don't see that as an issue!.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I seen my name get a mention or two on this thread, thanks for that! 😀

I do indeed make dashboards and door cappings, all handmade and finished, packed and wrapped by me alone; a Triumph enthusiast and woodwork lover.  I make molded door cappings that fit around the profile of the door, I think they make for a cleaner, neater look as opposed to the bulkier looking square ones.  I've a set in my own Spitfire secured with a good double sided automotive tape and they're locked in place for the past couple of years. 

If I can offer anyone help or support on tackling a dash refurb do let me know! 

IMG_20210326_165208.jpg

interior.jpg

rosewood1.jpg

271605749_10224037323098479_1309629564608329071_n.jpg

120757943_633713490847761_7291098242987314055_n.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Handmade_by_Heary said:

Hi all,

If I can offer anyone help or support on tackling a dash refurb do let me know! 

Hello, from  a near neighbour more or less! Some lovely work there.

I've managed to source a Herald dashboard which is en route through the post, so am waiting for it to arrive in order to see what state it's in and what it needs. All advice will be very welcome, although there's been great help in this thread already. 

I've also snaffled a set of Herald wooden door cappings plus rear trims, and was wondering how difficult they would be to make in basic wood - certainly nowhere near the £199 that some sellers are asking for second-hand items? I was wondering if there was a market for making these in a basic form, where owners could veneer and varnish the bare units as required?

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Hello, from  a near neighbour more or less! Some lovely work there.

I've managed to source a Herald dashboard which is en route through the post, so am waiting for it to arrive in order to see what state it's in and what it needs. All advice will be very welcome, although there's been great help in this thread already. 

I've also snaffled a set of Herald wooden door cappings plus rear trims, and was wondering how difficult they would be to make in basic wood - certainly nowhere near the £199 that some sellers are asking for second-hand items? I was wondering if there was a market for making these in a basic form, where owners could veneer and varnish the bare units as required?

By all means let me know if I can offer advice, I make from scratch and restore so I've seen and done a lot.

Regarding the Herald/Vitesse door cappings, to be honest I've not found I've had enough requests/interest in them to warrant producing new ones from scratch. Unlike the flat panel dashes of a number of Triumph cars the door caps of the Herald/Vitesse have essentially three faces (flat with a chamfer) and chamfers at both ends also, so certainly something that could be stained/varnished to the customers requirements provided it was manufactured in a light colored base wood but veneering would be a tad trickier.

I've noticed however having worked on a number of sets that Triumph only veneered the large flat face in some cases and applied a tinted clear then to try blend it all in to one general walnut color 🤔

Below is a set of door cappings I refinished to match a new made Vitesse Mk1 dash...

IMG_20210505_120723.jpg

IMG_20210505_120730.jpg

IMG_20210604_174003.jpg

IMG_20210604_174011.jpg

IMG_20210604_174017.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting. Do you use modern acrylics, or traditional based?. We have some genuine antiques, which my FIL. (rest him) An old time French polisher, re-polished for us. If I recall correctly the base was "Shellac"?.

Pete

36 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Interesting. Do you use modern acrylics, or traditional based?. We have some genuine antiques, which my FIL. (rest him) An old time French polisher, re-polished for us. If I recall correctly the base was "Shellac"?.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I use modern stuff, 2k clears it's really the only option for wood panels that are essentially external application bring subject to various degrees of temperature, uv light, humidity and let's face it, in a British sports car, damp and wet. Plus with the 2k's you get to build up a good coat that gives a fantastic depth to the wood.

• Like 2

One of my passions is good wood, I hate plastics, despite the fact we have to live with them. and only tolerate a veneer when it is quality. With me it`s like Steam Engines it seems to have "life".

They look very good though, and a credit to your skills.

Pete

22 hours ago, PeteH said:

One of my passions is good wood

Me too, in the form of musical instruments. I spent a great afternoon with Roger Bucknall of Fylde Instruments in Penrith and he took me round the workshop and his stocks of rare wood, and went into incredible depth on the qualities of this or that section of rare wood that he'd brought into the country at huge expense... and it was all wasted on me. I bought a couple of instruments, though, but he could make them out of MDF and it'd be all the same to me.