Doing a Volkswagon

Cookie

It's occurred to me that what Volkswagon have done in cheating the American emissions test with software that detunes the car to get through the test and then retunes afterwards to get it to run properly is an automated version of what late 70s Triumph owners have had to do for years.

I'm sure many of us have to weaken the mixture on our cars to get it through the MOT emissions test and then retune it to a proper richer setting to get it to run properly after the MOT has been granted, or is it just me!

I thought an emissions test fail on our cars was "Is it excessively smoky?"   :lol:   However, my man does the whole test, probe, sensor and everything. I asked him why and he said "Your paying for it so I'm doing it and wouldn't you want to know if it was worse than last time?"

You're right about the fiddling though! Before the MOT I tighten up the front wheel bearings so there's no play, straight away after I slacken them off. The manual says, on front wheel bearings, tighten the wheel nut until there's no play, then slacken off one flat so there is slight play. I was once failed on slack bearings, but not any more!

Depends on the year Doug, I think it's post 1977 cars that have to pass a test. My 79 Dolomite is certainly subject to emissions testing, as are Spit 1500s, TR7s, and Late Saloon's.

Right pain TBH unless you find a sympathetic MOT place who will bend the rules, after all it's not a safety issue which is what the MOT test should be about, just some numpties in Brussels setting illogical irrelevant targets.

It causes a lot more pollution to build a new car than an old dirty classic causes. So the greenest option and less impact on the planet  is to stop building new cars and recycle old classics. However the motor industry and therefore the politicians wouldn't want that!

Just checked and the MOT emissions test is in effect for earlier vehicles than I thought, it's for Vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1975.

The standards get progressively tighter for later vehicles.

For GT6s of course they are all exempt and only have to pass a visual smoke test...

Andy I agree with you completely. I saw Sea Sick Steve on "Later with Jules Holland" he put forward your same argument, He drives an ancient 8 litre pick up truck which is still cheaper to the environment than to produce a new environmental car. He makes good records too. Bit of a dodgy beard though.

• Like 1

In the factory Back in the 90s when we did free acceleration smoke tests on diesels, before ecu and computor experts got involved

to get a pass but you had to get the truck in straight after a good run to get it all up to temp, dont leave it idling and have the meter well heated , then 6 idle to max all to have the same result

oil temp and fuel consistence had a big effect

its all very different how

pete

It's occurred to me that what Volkswagon have done in cheating the American emissions test with software that detunes the car to get through the test and then retunes afterwards to get it to run properly is an automated version of what late 70s Triumph owners have had to do for years.

As always it’s not the doing, it’s the getting caught… :)