Seat belt puzzle

AlanT

Hi All, 

Bought new belts for my Spit 1500 but they don’t seem to feature the ‘over the shoulder’ bit. Am I missing something obvious? Have ‘borrowed’ a pic from Mathew’s resto page to show what should be vs the new ones (bought from well known supplier and listed as for a Spit)

Thanks

Alan

EEC28FDD-8F3B-44D6-B6AD-A3A4151CAB49.png

BA82A4D6-4D37-4C3F-B188-BFA853F326AE.png

I would say they are a version with the 'over the shoulder' part. I know nothing about Spitfires, but on my 13/60 the reel fixes to the wheel arch. The end of the belt bolts to the floor the door side of the seat it then clips into the buckle at the other side of the car. There is just 1 strap. Pulling over your shoulder gives the lap & diagonal. Hope that helps a bit

From the RB website, looks like the reel is supposed to be mounted at the top of the wheelarch. 

2 Required
Features angle-adjustable reel eliminating pivot/guide on top of wheel arch.
Suitable for use where non-standard seats or a rollover bar are fitted.

http://www.securon.co.uk/images/layouts/man-2.gif

Probably should have looked on ebay, MUCH cheaper at £32 each, and the std 3 layout (it is where I bought mine)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221956234431?epid=1325302959&hash=item33ad9f5cbf:g:EH4AAOSwNphWXX2e

Image 1 - NEW FRONT Securon Seat Belt 500/15 Lap & Diagonal Belt

11 minutes ago, AlanT said:

Thanks Clive, 
Not sure about mounting the belt higher. I’d have thought that removing one of the anchor points can’t be a great plan. 
I’ll take the pain(cost) and my lesson, buy ‘proper’ fitting belts.

I don't see it will be an issue. After all, in the event of an accident, all the forward forces will be on that upper bracket (as well as the reel at the bottom if you get conventional type)

The other possible advantage for some is that bottom corner can get a bit rotten, so using the top mount may be better!

BTW I have a roll bar (having had a bit of an off in Scotland and rolled my previous spitfire) and the normal belts work fine. 

• Like 1