Girling Type 15 front calipers

NDP

Hello, hopefully someone can throw a bit of light on my problem. I have a triumph gt6 mkiii 1972. I am looking to refurbish my brake calipers and I was expecting it to have Girling type 16's on the front. Either imperial or metric. However I took a photograph of them and the front right one has the following numbers on it:

RH 64326047.  13F2 Type 15.

I have been unable to find out any information about this "type". I also do not know who would do kits to refurbish them (including new pads).

Can anyone throw any light on this for me.

Many thanks.

Front Brake Caliper (3).JPG

Front Brake Caliper (2).JPG

Front Brake Caliper (9).JPG

As above, but to expand.

GT6s only ever had Girling type 16 calipers: 16P up to mid Mk 2, then 16PB up to approx 1972 and then 16PB(metric) to end of run. This errant '15' really has to be a '16' and this could be corroborated by a visual comparison with the LH caliper of which it is most likely a mirror image.

Slight wrinkle though: the '64326047' number is most likley to be associated with the 16P caliper rather than 16PB. Although 'P' and 'PB' will function just the same, the piston and rubber seal are different. 16P has a piston with a skinny rebate for the seal and no spring clip (see pic), whereas 16PB has a deep rebate for the seal and a wire clip as well. Bits for 16P are a bit harder to find.

Refurb items: TD Fitchett (01952 620434) or Canley Classics are likely sources.

type 16.png

• Like 1

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the information on this. I will now take this as a type 16. I will try to confirm whether it is a "P" or a "PB". This brings me onto the point of finding out what they are. I am thinking of getting them refurbished and maybe uprating the pads and discs a bit. Does anyone have a recommendation as to who could refurbish them at a reasonable price and maybe also supply the uprated bits?

Cheers, Neil.

6 hours ago, NDP said:

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the information on this. I will now take this as a type 16. I will try to confirm whether it is a "P" or a "PB". This brings me onto the point of finding out what they are. I am thinking of getting them refurbished and maybe uprating the pads and discs a bit. Does anyone have a recommendation as to who could refurbish them at a reasonable price and maybe also supply the uprated bits?

Cheers, Neil.

Big Red refurbish calipers. I think some of the usual suspects can supply exchange items. Avoid new ones, they are machined incorectly and do not allow the pistons to move correctly on the seals. 

Re discs, uprated only means vented, which means calipers need spacing. But unless racing or driving REALLY hard, you won't need them. (drilled, grooved etc is all "emperors new clothes") So decent standard discs are fine. 

Pads, Mintex 1144 pad material is excellent. As are Ferodo DS Performance. Ferodo DS2500 if you expect brakes to get very hot, but they do not have quite as much bite when cold. However, the DS2500 do seem to last really well, 20K on mine and I reckon less than half worn, car driven very hard at times. Never had any sign fade despite regular braking from 100+mph for corners on trackdays or blatting down Stelvio. So they do get my hearty recommendation.