The joys of the D-i-y mechanic.

Wagger

30 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I think it's either from mileage or time elapsed, and probably not from the state of the oil.

That would be logical, but the last service was April 2021 with about 5K kilometres done since then. Looking up on the webby thing it 'implies' that the engine is fitted with an oil condition sensor on one site while another just mentions determining the state of the oil.

I've just reset both of the indicators. As the countdown was just in days I assume it was time based. I have had or that warned of services being needed in 'x kms or Y days' before.

I'll get the oil & filter changed in April along with brake fluid. Now a warning about the moisture content of brake fluid might be useful . . .Oh no not more electronics!

The colour of the oil, is not really a clue to the oils condition, the only real "test" is analysis. Modern oils, I am advised, retain the particles within the oil, hence the relatively quick colour change. Modern oils can go 18K miles before being changed. All my recent "moderns" use this as the yardstick.

P.s. this does not apply of course to the "classic" cars where the original formula should be followed.

Pete