GT6 steering wheel clearance

BestyA

Hi all hopefully someone can help me out. A bit of background - I replaced the steering column (PO had installed a dolomite column) with original. I also recovered seats Inc New foam. I only have clearance of around 4 1/2 inches - is this right? There is also a finger width of clearance above the column to the dashboard (I can easily get my finger in there). Is this right? Any way I can raise the steering column?

IMG_20220403_163848.jpg

IMG_20220403_163903.jpg

If you just undo the locked grub screw that fixes the the upper mast to the lower mast and hoik one has to be careful what effect that will have on the column lock, the self cancelling for the indicators and the horn push. To get the movement it might be preferable to move the outer shroud in harmony with the mast although that admittedly involves a little spannering (lower column bracket (setscrews) and upper bracket (allen key).

Where you've got your finger in the photo is generous, but not markedly excessive. There's no potential for vertical adjustment of the column. But it would be worth checking that the torque tubes supporting the upper bracket are assembled in the correct relationahip (i.e two halves of the clamps are above the tubes). Unlikely to be incorrect, though, becuase fitting it wrong is very difficult to achieve.

My legs are hardly elf-like but are a comfortable fit between the steering wheel and seat base so 4 1/2 inches is too little.

Possibly some consideration could be give to the seat base itself. Is the rear of the base positively located into the three jaws on the seat frame at the back?  If not, the base tends to slide forward and ride up at the front. Similarly are the two metal tabs on the front of the seat based nicely clicked over the front of the frame? If bent/absent cable ties might be required. The not-a-good-situation-at-all is Fat Foam Syndrome. i.e When it comes to replacement foams they are not all equal or correct - some are just too fat and stiff and give a 'cramped' overall fitting.

If you need measurement or photos I could take them off my GT6 but that would be Tuesday when I'm back at work.

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

Thought there was a bit of a slot to be able to raise the angle, will have to double check or is that only the later spitfire?

Thanks for your message - I think that is the late Spit but I have some investigation to do.

12 hours ago, BestyA said:

If I undo the clamp and pull towards me? (and I agree anything under the dash is a faff🥴)

I think it has been covered by others, but slightly loosen off the clamp by the pedals and the outer tube clamp near the wheel. Wiggle the whole lot up. 

I used a late spitfire column as although I am correctly sized (5'8, or was, I may have shrunk in the last few years) the later column is a more comfortable design (plus you no longer need to rummage for the ignition)

Thanks for that (I assume you have a standard steering wheel?) So I have somehow lost 3 1/2 inches! I will remove the seats and make sure everything is as low as possible. I might be cutting a hole in the floor at this rate😁

13 minutes ago, BestyA said:

Thanks for that (I assume you have a standard steering wheel?) So I have somehow lost 3 1/2 inches! I will remove the seats and make sure everything is as low as possible. I might be cutting a hole in the floor at this rate😁

The new foams will likely settle a bit. Ours have (came from park lane) and when stting the front edge gives a fair bit anyway. 

And yes, you can lower the floor! Often done by racers, so not a daft idea.

BA,

From the picture your seat appears as far forward as it will go, pulling it back will widen the leg gap. GT6 has a strange driving position, legs almost horizontal and off to the right, your back vertical in the seat, takes some getting used to. I have a dished steering wheel which gives more leg room, also mine's slightly smaller diameter, but not too small else you can't turn the wheel. In fact you can get a dished wheel the same diameter as the standard. 

Doug

12 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

GT6 has a strange driving position, legs almost horizontal and off to the right, your back vertical in the seat, takes some getting used to. I have a dished steering wheel which gives more leg room, also mine's slightly smaller diameter, but not too small else you can't turn the wheel. In fact you can get a dished wheel the same diameter as the standard. 

You wedge yourself in, it feels very comfortable - just like when you crowd into a corner of a comfy chair to watch telly. 

I found out today that the human head just about fits between the Herald gearstick and the steering wheel, but only in first and second gear. 

• Haha 1