Vitesse Mk2 Boot Seal

Phil C

Evening All,

Just fitted a new boot seal and having difficulty closing the boot. Most of the seal is fine but the profile does not permit the lid to pass over the lower edge.

I'm guessing the new seal is a "nearest to the original" profile and needs some fettling but before I get my lump hammer out I thought I would seek some sensible advice!

I have no old seal to compare with as the car didn't come with one.

Does the seal profile look correct? Is there a fix I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

01D0C515-B1A5-4030-B758-1768A4DC6A7D.thumb.jpeg.e3356dbfad9f64ba148882d07bb3b02d.jpeg

Hi Phil; that's the usual 'bubble' seal supplied these days, some are better than others and some need to bed in over time. If you need to compress the seal drill a few small holes in the underside of the bubble section to allow air out so it will compress. (Underside so you can't see the holes and rain can't get in)

• Thanks 1

Thanks Guys.

I don't think the compression is the main problem although I will have a closer look to check.

The boot closes ok albeit with a push. Its the opening which is difficult as the lower edge boot lip 'hooks' around the 'bubble' essentially locking it on. It does open but is in danger of pulling the seal off its seating.

I was thinking the small moulded rib along the length of the seal is not helping (something to catch on?).

Which way around should the seal be installed? With the rib facing the outside edge (as I have) or with it facing inwards?

In terms of stopping water ingress I thought I had it right but facing inwards may help boot opening as there would be less chance for the edge to catch.

Im also thinking I might cut it off along the lower edge to make it easier for the boot edge to slide over?

Or may be I should just live with it and the seal will eventually settle into a suitable shape?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Ta