Herald body tub weight

steveo

Due to finding lots of rust & poor repairs on my 13/60 it looks like it maybe time to lift the tub off the chassis to do the necessary repairs to a good standard, my question is how heavy is the tub ( with interior & boot lid & bits & bobs removed ) how many blokes to lift it safely without back injury !

Took the bed off my Ford Ranger a few years ago to to do some repairs & 2 people lifted it no problem, is the Herald possible with 2 middle age blokes !    

I had a hand to lift the Tub sections off, It`s certainly manageable with 2 people. I put them back on single handed with the use of an old 1t 4fall "haltrack" hoist. I have a 9x2" Joist under the centre of the garage. Which is a handy lift point. (Tested by hanging the engine/Gearbox on it)

Pete.

I have a small four-wheeled dolly and the end of the tub sits on that so I can wheel it about like a wheelbarrow. You can't lift it by yourself - it's possible, but there's nothing convenient to get a grip on with both hands given the width and length. I just lift one end, dolly underneath, then wheel it away. It's one of those small four-wheeled furniture movers from LIDL - mine cost me a tenner.

I refitted the Estate rear tub by myself but lifted one end on a hoist until I could drop it down onto the chassis and slide it about.

lifted ours with just two of us   quite easy

just used rubber mat and up ended the tub on its overiders to add a stout prop and work away with the floor near vertical 

saved lifting the thing all over the place  just tipped up on the drive , when done just lifted back 

Pete

Thanks to everyone for your replies, looks like it will be coming off in a few weeks time after I have fitted a new o/s rear chassis rail & tacked in some new door steps, with the body off I can clean / weld / rustproof / paint the under side & chassis, its all turning into a restoration instead of the quick recommissioning I was hoping for, but its a Herald saved from the scrap yard & back on the road.

Thanks again,

Steve. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, steveo said:

but its a Herald saved from the scrap yard & back on the road.

Yessssssss?. I thought the same back in 2015, Still a work in progress!.:rolleyes: I sometimes think it`s  a race, between me and Satan!.

Pete