Tacho to distributor cable

NDP

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help with this.

During a rebuild of my GT6 MKIII I had an electronic ignition system put in. It is in exactly the same position as my old manual system but the cable to the rev counter was also replaced. Subsequently trying to get the advance / retard on the car has been a problem because the cable seems to be very tight and the distributor cannot be moved much.

My question is this: What length should the tacho cable be? I ask this because I am a little suspicious that aftermarket replacements may be a bit shorter or they may have fit the wrong cable by some chance?

Any guidance much appreciated.

NDP

Probably a daft question but is the cable routed correctly through the tunnel cover? It is one of the annoying things about my 6 that I have to disconnect the tacho cable at the dizzy in order to remove the tunnel. There is a hole through which it passes and it is the only cable that uses that hole.

Pete - The tacho is in the right hand side of the RHD dashboard. Standard I think for a 1972 MKIII GT6?

Jim - This is where the tacho cable goes through the bulkhead.

Hopefully these pictures show the route.

Regards,

GT6 engine bay April 2022 (1).JPG

GT6 engine bay April 2022 (2).JPG

I have been looking at a few engine bay photos online and they seem to be routed differently to mine. All are RHD, the same as mine but the tacho cable appears to be going through the bulkhead at the battery side, not routed behind the engine and then through the bulkhead behind the airbox. 

If the routing on mine is correct then I can only think that the cable is too short and it is back to finding out what length the original cable was.

Pete, I understand that your suggestion would solve the issue but I would prefer to try to keep the dial layout original if I can.

Regards,

I've just been and checked my 1972 GT6. The tacho is, indeed, on the right of the speedo. However, the cable routing is quite different from yours - it goes in through the grommet'd hole on the LEFT side of the bulkhead (so quite a short run in the engine bay) then crosses over the gearbox cover under the heater (I think I posted photos of this for someone a while back). While it may not seem obvious, I think that's a shorter route.

The hole yours goes through is where the speedo cable is on mine.

(Edit: I see you've found other photos, but here are mine)

TachoBehindHeater.jpg.c586804143789d8e786a82c78637c6bf.jpgTachoBehindDash.jpg.4be521c51f3f90b8e8150eecaedc77b1.jpg

Thank you for that posting. I see you also have the bracket for the drivers side ignition illumination light. I have been trying to get hold of one of those for years. I'm now green with envy!

So, from what you are telling me both my speedo and tacho are routed incorrectly. This is frustrating but great to know. This may well solve the issue, but no doubt will lead to many hours of fiddling around behind the dash! 

Once again thank you all for your suggestions and illumination. Back to grovelling under the GT for me.

Cheers,

NDP.

PS. Are any of you chaps going to the Stratford show in August? I have never been but thinking of driving the car down there for the weekend.