Jammed new starter motor. Spitfire Mk3

Hi Guys,

Just bought a brand new starter motor from one of the usual suppliers. Used it once and the pinion shot to the extent of its travel and jammed there. I cannot get it to go back. Wonderful!!

I will have to call the supplier tomorrow and arrange for them to swop it. 

Has anybody ever seen this before?

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Got a replacement new one from Rimmer's about 6 weeks ago but due to having a new kitchen, new bathroom and a week away to recover from new kitchen and bathroom I only fitted it today.

Guess what? It did exactly the same as the first one. Moved to the full extent of its travel and jammed there. I have fitted a second hand one from ebay and that works fine but does not turn the engine over quite as quickly. Anyway I will take it back to Rimmer's this time and get a refund. The last one took a month to replace after having to chase it up.

Anybody else experienced this?

Cheers.

Did the replacements have the same number of teeth on the Bendix as the original or your current 2nd hand unit?

I think our Triumphs generally used 9 teeth, but there are other variants if the number of teeth are incorrect the starter won't mesh with the ring and maybe jam, but I assume Rimmer's would ensure there stock is correctly labeled and supplied.

Do you mean it spun down the Bendix thread and it stayed at the end of its travel even when removed from engine - or it engaged on the ring gear but did then  not disengage?

The former would suggest a Bendix  fault.Unusual, I would have thought on a new one - and more so x2 - but  odd things happen 

The latter  would suggest a gear meshing problem - either as  result of wrong no. of teeth as suggested or the ring gear has “dental” problems or the depth of mesh is’t right - but the correct spacer/s should answer that.