Trunnion Oil

Pettifordo

What is the best way to get oil into a trunnion ?

Special tool ?

As I only have 2 to do and they are off the car, do I just put some in the trunnion and screw onto the car or take off the “grease nipple” and pour it in until it overflows ?

Finally how far up should I tighten the trunnion ? Just finger tight and then back one turn ?

Use an oil can with a soft plastic nozzle, take out grease nipple, push oil can in to the trunnion whilst on the car and pump. If oil comes out round the nozzle, press harder. You don't need anything either more sophisticated or expensive. Once the trunnion is full you'll see oil coming from underneath the rubber cap.

You can fill them before fitting but it can be messy, and you'll want the plugs / nipples removed anyway to allow the oil to fill that drilling. If there are "grease" nipples fitted then a "grease" gun filled with EP90 will do the trick. If you take them out, an ordinary oil can with a small grommet or O-ring will suffice (and the O-ring's only to reduce the mess).

As to tightening, generally all the way (finger tight) then back off half a turn until it's in the right position to fit the wishbone.

Mr P,

What Colin and Rob said! Some just pour oil in from the top under the rubber cap, but I'm with these guys.  Through the nipple or the nipple hole ensures oil goes down the centre of the vertical link to the base of the trunnion and up the thread. Pouring it in from the cap only gets it to the bottom of the trunnion and you don't get maximum fill.

Doug

After years of the faff and more so the mess of using a grease gun I'm now a firm convert to a method written up in the Courior a few months (so probably a year or more) back - a couple of 10ml refillable syringes and some windscreen washer sized tubing.  Remove the nipple/blanking plug and force one end of the tube to screw in to the hole.  Fill the syringe with GL4 EP90 oil, plug in to other end of tube and press the plunger till (the often quite fowel looking) old oil gets pushed out under the trunnion dust shield.

52 minutes ago, DVD3500 said:

Could someone actually film this process?

Your wish is my command. Tonight - your movie presentation! Grey Haired Garage Inc. presents a Daft Old Duffer production...

I've illustrated the earlier post to show how the oil comes out of the threaded hole if the seal isn't perfect, but a little bit more pressure gets the oil to emerge from under the rubber cap. This means the oil has gone through the threaded hole, down the inside of the link, back up the outside of the link threads and out of the top of the trunnion. This is a £1 oil can, nothing more necessary.

• Thanks 1