Fuel pump leak

MHT

So before I went ordering new gaskets etc., I thought I would just check how easy I can access the fuel pump with a screwdriver to take the cover off. It seems easy enough and I so had the idea of just seeing if I could tighten the screws up a little. I did this a small turn at a time and now I have no leaking from the bottom of the fuel pump! However, there still does seem to be a very tiny seepage from the outlet pipe connected to the pump. This is so slight I wonder if I should worry about it? I have tried to tighten the nut slightly and I think it is getting better, but I am a little concerned that I could over tighten it and end up in more trouble. I don't know exactly how it is connected to the fuel pump, but do you think it is safe to keep tightening it ever so slightly?

Thanks again to all for your help.

If you remove the metal pipe that is leaking and disconnect it, you may be able to replace the olive. If not, do as Pete Truman suggests. Lightly 'Tinning' the whole olive will coat it in soft solder and this will seal on tightening the nut.

Obviously, do not use a flame in the wrong vicinity.

4 hours ago, MHT said:

I have tried to tighten the nut slightly and I think it is getting better, but I am a little concerned that I could over tighten it and end up in more trouble. I don't know exactly how it is connected to the fuel pump, but do you think it is safe to keep tightening it ever so slightly?

Thanks again to all for your help.

Remember the pump body is alloy so you can strip the threads quite easily. It doesn't take much force to do, and it's always the last quarter turn that does it.

Colin, I note what you say about the pump being alloy, but I had already decided to give one more tiny tweak on the nut..... Checked it this morning and have just taken it for a drive also as the main test, and when I got back I checked it again and thankfully I have no leak at the moment. I will now leave said nut alone.

68vitesse - that's a good idea for me to note for the future, especially as I don't have a solder.

Thanks again everyone.