One way valve on windscreen washer pipe work

Andrew

Hello

as my voluntary MOT is due my windscreen washer have decided to stop working.  The fault is the one way valve on the pipe in the bottle. This is not an electric pump but the old fashioned pump it yourself. Can the one way valve stop working and if so is they an easy remedy or do I just buy a new one as it won’t break the bank

regards

Andrew

Yes, it can stop working! The bellows inside the pump switch has no valve, it just pumps through both connections simultaneously, so it's the valve that makes the water flow in one direction. Valves are easy to get; your local aquarium shop may have some but otherwise they're used on a lot of cars from the same era. Your old one may just be stuck so take it out of the washer bottle and try blowing through it in the direction of the water flow, maybe a light clean with a toothbrush will get it working again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352419421443?hash=item520dd59d03:g:t80AAOSwA5tbfYKX

• Like 1

there will be a valve both sides of the pump bellows, the one in the washer bottle plus one either built into the pump or the washer jets, I put an inline one between the pump and the T piece to the jets as well to get nine working.