Today I destroyed my car.

Quack

So I finally got round to wet sanding my car to remove orange peel…well unfortunately there were plenty of bumps that turned in to chips. No idea how to fix this now. I’m guessing I’d have to respray the whole bonnet?

pretty devastated. Wish I’d never touched it.

E1366FBD-470B-42DC-85ED-5AB18788D746.jpeg

2D5DF9EF-444A-430E-A58A-CF65F9D3E149.jpeg

dont be sad its not the first time 

Paint ......gets the better of most of us 

we painted my sons first Mini with  JapLac from homebase and a brush and sponge roller  

remarkable result from nappy yellow to red and white in a morning    it lasted 5 years cost about a £5 back n the late 80s 

Pete

53 minutes ago, Quack said:

So I finally got round to wet sanding my car to remove orange peel…well unfortunately there were plenty of bumps that turned in to chips.

Oh dear. The trouble is, your primer coats were not flatted smooth before applying the colour. We made that mistake with my brother's Spitfire (my first attempt at a respray, although it was his impatience to get it done that drove our error). He just had to live with the orange peel. If you want a good finish, you absolutely MUST flat the primer to a smooth, peel-free dull sheen before putting the colour coats on.

Mind you the first photo looks like you went right through at the back edge. A bit too aggressive with the sanding there.

You would probably get away with only re-spraying the top panel. Take the waist trim off and mask under where it fits, so any masking edge line will be hidden.

Yeah I previous owner had done a poor paint job unfortunately.

so far I have used a paint pen to fill in lots of the little chips, then I’m going to compound it and polish tomorrow and just fill in again if any more chips occur. Can’t really see another simple way around it.

As for the rest of the vehicle, the drivers side has seen success, apart from some small odd patches where too much sanding seemed to bring out a lighter green layer of paint but it’s not too noticeable from afar.

93272D0E-D376-4CD2-85A3-366BD070C8B7.jpeg

4FFA60DF-4B43-4ECD-8305-9C7766CAA3EE.jpeg

029F9D5D-670C-47B9-BE02-2D74C42F401C.jpeg

8 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I like that colour combination. I'm tempted to add a white line on my Vitesse, to disguise the poor colour match between the original restoration and the bits I've rebuilt recently.

Yeah I have to say I couldn’t believe my luck when I found the car, it was the exact colour combo I envisioned when I was first wanting a herald!