Brake Servo Issue

Darren Groves

yes    a stronger spring may help this if the air piston is stiff it makes the brakes hang on 

something rings a distant bell to remove one of the two seals 

make sure the piston pushrod does move easy through the vac chamber hole where the main cylinder is bolted 

Pete

I seem to remember a blocked hole somewhere (with flaking rust) causing this on a MM 15 years ago. Check for debri or something acting as a valve.

It was very annoying, sapping power, ruining economy and boiling the fluid. Took ages to find.

9 hours ago, Wagger said:

I seem to remember a blocked hole somewhere (with flaking rust) causing this on a MM 15 years ago. Check for debri or something acting as a valve.

It was very annoying, sapping power, ruining economy and boiling the fluid. Took ages to find.

That won't be the issue here as it was effectively a new unit, but bought several years ago so no receipt and can't even remember where I bought it....🙄

21 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes    a stronger spring may help this if the air piston is stiff it makes the brakes hang on 

something rings a distant bell to remove one of the two seals 

make sure the piston pushrod does move easy through the vac chamber hole where the main cylinder is bolted 

Pete

When say stronger spring, you mean the main one to the diaphragm? Where would I even get one from as Powertune don't seem to exist anywhere, can't seem to find out who actually makes these units.

I did unclamp the back of the unit, but didn't seem any obvious way to remove the diaphragm so I could look at the pushrod etc. does it just pull out as it didn't feel like it wanted to.

servo1.jpg.00d9707ed8abbcf7b57bc7c039c253fe.jpg

not the main spring  the one under the air valve as from memory thats all that returns the small  hydraulic piston 

any stiffness can cause the brakes to be dull and hang on 

i had one that persisted in hanging on and in the end i just replaced it despite much strip down and checking  i never solved it 

new unit worked so much better  ...

Pete 

• Like 1

Yes, on a Lockheed there's a small spring in the air valve mechanism, only a couple of turns. I know this because I took mine apart and lost it! :angry: I got a box of 200 springs off Ebay and modified one to replace.

Spring is under the small black rubber bit, accessed through the other side.

servo.PNG.36430c518b27ed56ca8f2f11852a9861.PNG

Doug 

• Like 1