Front Hub Advice

Steve P

No   the ring is inserted ito the hub cup facing outwards the felt fits in the cup and rubs against the upright surface 

its def  be=rg  brg  cup   felt   upright   >=< [ |  

the sealing ring is often disappeared with age  it stops water tracking up towards the bearing felt seal  

Pete

Yours is the same as my early Herald, then, no sealing cup - see photo. All the early cars had was a rubber seal that goes between the upright and the caliper bracket, not shown above but amazingly James Paddock had them a while back - I got two for my early 1200.

DSCF0681.jpg.39025aa6b04a4b37284198f1c91408c3.jpg  DSCF0783.jpg.2f10a60505b3c52e818ddb0c369bfbed.jpg

The only seal here at all is the felt seal in the hub, and as Pete says it gos into the hub with the metal backing plate tight against the bearing, so that you can see the felt. The end of the hub and the felt seal, fit into the hole in the upright so that the felt rubs against the metal around the base of the stub axle and creates a greasy seal.

I think  i figured this out, one side has the water shield for the felt seal and one doesn`t. And i think a previous owner has rebuilt it with the felt seal with the metal ring on the upright rather than the hub, that`s definitely how it came off.

All i need is to source a water seal ring, anyone know if they are available as the usual suspects all say NLA?.

Steve

27 minutes ago, Steve P said:

I think  i figured this out, one side has the water shield for the felt seal and one doesn`t. And i think a previous owner has rebuilt it with the felt seal with the metal ring on the upright rather than the hub, that`s definitely how it came off.

All i need is to source a water seal ring, anyone know if they are available as the usual suspects all say NLA?.

Steve

Chic Doig probably can help you out, or maybe Wins International.