herald gearbox

foshi

18 minutes ago, foshi said:

the box fitted is a 3 rail  the 1300 for sale is a 3 rail paul

Dolomite 1300 is an odd-ball, it's the only 3-rail gearbox for a 4-cylinder with a 20-spline input shaft, uses 6.5" clutch GCP244 - https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GCP244

I have no idea about 1500 RWDs or what input shaft they had, but also it's impossible to tell what flywheel you have. So you need to take the gearbox out first, and then you will know what clutch you need.

If your car has a larger 1500 flywheel, all is fine, you can use a standard 1500 Spitfire clutch.

If your car has a lighter 1300/1200 flywheel, you need the rare GCP244 or to fit a full 1500 clutch AND flywheel.

Edited by JumpingFrog
Reorder for clarity.

40 minutes ago, foshi said:

so did the early dolomite 1500 TC have the 3 rail box as standard

There is a lot of confusion available if you're sloppy with naming. The factory never called anything a "Dolomite 1500 TC".

The Triumph 1500TC was the rear-wheel drive version of the Triumph 1500. It looks like a Dolomite but was not called that. At the time, the Dolomite was an 1850 only, later an 1850 or a "Sprint" 2L. The 1500TC had a 3-rail gearbox.

At a similar time, the Toledo (1300 in most markets) replaced the 1300 (FWD) saloon. Toledos had 3-rail gearboxes.

In the mid 1970s, BL decided to rationalise the naming. The Toledo got the long boot of the rest of the range, and lost the 2-door option. It was renamed "Dolomite 1300" and got a single-rail gearbox. The 1500TC became the "Dolomite 1500HL", again with a single-rail box.

All 3-rail boxes have coarse spline clutches. All single rail need the fine spline. (There are exceptions now due to rebuilt bitsa boxes, of course)

ok just got that jumpingfrog  .maybe back to the good herald box , dont mind a challenge but have  body work to do then a respray all i can do myself  costs soon start spiralling   though       all i want is weekend car that runs and stops might even drive it until the box goes bang. had a marina van back in the day similar problem lasted a year in daily use terrible noise though . paul

thank you non member, yes you are correct i do know my triumphs/ past my test in 76 owned  many from stags to heralds , back in the day we referred to cars with twin carbs as TC   so sorry if i confused anyone paul

2 hours ago, foshi said:

thank you non member, yes you are correct i do know my triumphs/ past my test in 76 owned  many from stags to heralds , back in the day we referred to cars with twin carbs as TC   so sorry if i confused anyone paul

A lot of cars about these days that Triumph neither named nor created! As long as we know what you mean that’s good enough.