Spitfire engine compression test

Black Cat

Thought I would undertake a compression test on my 1500 1977 Spitfire, the results were as follows:

Cylinder 1 104 psi

Cylinder 2 110 psi

Cylinder 3 103 psi

Cylinder 4 105 psi

I used a gauge which I brought from eBay so it might not be calibrated correctly but all four readings are well within 10% of each other so on that front I’m OK, my concern is they seem a little low, was expecting 120-150.

The engine has been complete striped down and rebuilt and has done under 1000 miles since the rebuild.

Should I be concerned?

Compression readings are sensitive to your technique as well as the completely uncalibrated eBay gauge. The absolute values are essentially meaningless, it's only the "being all about the same" that matters, especially if the gauge is new to you. You could repeat the test with a drop of oil down the bores, to see how much difference that makes (it shouldn't be much).

Does the engine run OK? Was there a reason for doing a compression test, other than it was "a thing to do"?

All plugs were out when the test was undertaken and throttle was open, the engine was warm and when the engine was rebuilt the bores seemed OK and new ring were added.

Will try again with a little oil in each cylinder and see what readings I get then.

The bores were supposed to have been honed before the new rings were fitted.

Now completed the wet test

First Cylinder Pressure test  (Dry)                         

Cylinder 1 104 psi

Cylinder 2 110 psi

Cylinder 3 103 psi

Cylinder 4 105 psi

Second Cylinder Pressure test (Wet)

Cylinder 1 115 psi

Cylinder 2 114 psi

Cylinder 3 110 psi

Cylinder 4 115psi

Slight improovement, oviously a slight leak in each cylinder. The engine runs and sounds OK so unless somebody has any other ideas I'm going to leave it as it is for now.

May get a friend who has a garage to check it with his pressure gauge.