Tssc events survey

Triumph948

45 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I was at Donington, which seemed to me to be one of the worst shows ever. No-one about, just cars parked up. Where was everyone? Possibly at the racing, but the 'show' itself was dead. I saw members turn up for one run round the racetrack... and that was it. You've had your turn. What next?

It's one thing saying Silverstone will be a success, but like many I suspect I'm there for the Triumphs and the Classic Cars, not the venue, nor the racing, which doesn't appeal in the slightest. Telling someone like me 'you can see the cars racing, see the track, stand in the pits, revel in the atmosphere' etc etc does nothing for me. You may as well hold it at a football ground and tell me I can watch the match too. I want to see the things I'm into as an enthusiast, not go to someone else's hobby and hope they make a little room for me, too, as a throw-away aside. So: a word of warning: don't promote Silverstone on account of the racing. I don't want something for everybody. I want something for me. If it seems I'm going to pay nearly £700 to attend an event that pleases a few racing fans amongst us, and has very little for the rest of us, but I'm paying for someone else's enjoyment, then I'll not be there.

Colin, the racing is only a small part of it. Silverstone is a fabulous venue, it just happens to have a racetrack there too. 

Agree, Donnington didn't really work. Nobody I knew went to watch the racing there, and had place was far too large for the tssc. (The circuit we had was just a bit of road onside, the actual track is a little way away, and great to drive if that is your thing) Santa Pod was worse, and very few people actually had a go, which was a shame. Certainly a big adrenaline rush.

But it needs lots of different things to be available. Many enjoy watching some racing, some want to see rows of old cars, some want to buy stuff, others want to sit in a bar. I like to do a bit of everything. And that is why I think it will be a success. So much to do. You will have plenty of triumphs to look at, of all shapes and ages.

BTW, having been to the goodwood revival, watching some of the classic racing is fab. Seeing minis v mk1 cortinas v big fast American v8s is hugely entertaining. Not a bad way to spend 40 minutes. 

Colin, 

Please search for MG Live! and lok at some of the reports from previous shows.  Silverstone is so large that you need not go anywhere near a racing car.  So large that it has room for all the attractions that draw thousands - yes, thousands - of cars to the MG show.   So large that a bus runs around inside the circuit, to take you to any of the events going on.  Which include, apart from racing, autotesting etc include:

Pride of ownership
Concours
Traders
Cars for sale
Live action arena complete with car stunts
Display from the Club and all the parts within it including our Registers and Centres
Display from the manufacturer
Live music
Variety of food and drink stalls
Kids activities

I know from going that MG put on comprehensive displays of their marquee, going right back to MG1.   You will have more to see and do than you can in just one day!     

The show benefits from A/ including all the MG clubs, not just for the 50-70s that the TSSC and TRR represent, and B/ from the fact that MGs are still a manufactured marque.