Tssc events survey

Triumph948

My negativity is caused by the number of spoof/fishing messages that are around. Got the EVRI delivery one this morning to my phone which I thought was secure but they got the number from somewhere. After two attempts to lift 2.5k from a 'secure' credit card, paranoia certainly does rule.

My god, give us a gearbox and we can strip it, rebuild in 2 seconds. Give us a survey and we are like headless chickens.

Well that is one point for deriding members, another for chopping chicken heads, about for being a moderator and having a laugh.

Just off to join John on the naughty boy step.

Move over John.

Graham😁

• Haha 4

When I was a kid my dad built a chicken run and bought 12 chicks, at least 6 guaranteed to be hens. In the event turned out we had 11 cockerels and 1 hen. The cockerels pestered the hen so much she fell off her perch and broke her neck. Mum plucked and gutted and we ate well. Over the coming 11 weeks dad chopped the heads and mum plucked and gutted. And yes, they do run around without their heads. My brother thought it hilarious, I was horrified.

Doug

In the late 1940`s Grandad still had the chickens he had kept all through the "hostilities". With the increasing availablity of egg comercially. He, I guess, took the decision to repurpose the land the chickens run was on. So the family had a lot of chicken over a short period of time, we got used to seeing the headless birds running about. In the mid 50`s, I went duck shooting, with an "uncle" (pal of dad`s) on the Humber Bank, 13years old with a 12 bore. The "snowflakes" would have a fit to-day!. Rabbit`s and other Game, where often Hung headless outside butchers. Full carcases hung on rails in the shop too.

Are we any better off?. Asked the question, where does meat come from. Most kids say Tesco.😂

Pete

• Like 1

To complete this survey, which so many members have been asking for, you DO NOT HAVE TO SIGN IN TO GOOGLE.  It clearly states that you should do so IF you want to save your progress.  I have done it in a few minutes without having to sign in though I did pause for a moment when I saw that.

The red asterisks clearly state which sections are mandatory and 'Sign in to Google' is not one of them!

As an Area Organiser, I am encouraging all my members in Devon to complete the survey, either online or via the printed version which I understand will be in the October Courier.

Hope to meet lots of the Forum members at the AGM and Angie's leaving celebrations on Saturday.

Incidentally, with no offence intended, why is it all the blokes moaning about the survey - does this prove that Men are from Mars and Women from Venus or is there a deeper reason!!

Edited by Sue Franklin
Added content.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sue Franklin said:

To complete this survey, which so many members have been asking for, you DO NOT HAVE TO SIGN IN TO GOOGLE.  It clearly states that you should do so IF you want to save your progress.  I have done it in a few minutes without having to sign in though I did pause for a moment when I saw that.

Sue, you clearly have greater brain capacity than me. My MSc dissertation on the Human/Computer interface was clearly ill conceived.  :wub:

Doug

• Haha 1

All computer UIs, whether Web form, mobile app, or any other, are absolutely, perfectly, crystal clear... to the person who created them.

Most of them, however, leave other people quite baffled.

In this case, it appears that a piece of explanatory text was located immediately after an optional interactive element (rather than before the form began) so as to cause at least one person to read it as applying to that element (which it didn't). It's not the worst bit of HMI I've seen, not by a long way, but it could have been even better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Interesting. Says a lot about the TSSC at present.

To be fair Colin - at least the TSSC have actually conducted a survey to canvass the members as to what they want in terms of events which is more than the TRR have done so all in all I feel the TSSC are probably coming out on top in my view.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chilliman said:

To be fair Colin - at least the TSSC have actually conducted a survey to canvass the members as to what they want in terms of events which is more than the TRR have done so all in all I feel the TSSC are probably coming out on top in my view.

They did, but some of the questions strike me as strange, and irrelevant.

Did I plan to attend Stafford in 2022? Do I attend local TSSC meetings? Do I go to other events? Are these really relevant to next year? The question: "what would make you want to attend' then listed the essential components - cars, friends, autojumble, traders... I don't want to be ungrateful or put down the efforts of the organisers but surely these are the basic things you go for? I had expected options on, maybe, 'race track', 'how-to', 'Demonstrations', 'other attractions'...  but no. 

Am I happy for the TSSC to work alongside other clubs... of course. It just seems too basic, and compiled by someone who hasn't been near this forum or read the mood, and wants, of the members that are already posted here in detail. 

Yes, I agree with you it was pretty basic, I have to admit I made full use of the last section which from memory was a bit of a catch all......but my point was that at least they asked before making decisions unlike the register management who appear to be making decisions without asking in the first place...

• Like 1

I believe it has now been let out the bag that TSSC are attending the Silverstone event. 

"All MG and Triumph classic car clubs are coming together to celebrate 100 years of both marques in 10th & 11th June 2023 for a spectacular event at Silverstone Circuit. More details to follow but reserve the date in your diary."

And as the TRR ad (quoted above) says, all teh clubs will be there. Amen to that.

The survey had to be simple, the more complex and detailed teh questions, the worse the results become. Here the management want to get a feel for what members want. And the number of responses may indicate how many are actually interested at all. (by extrapolation, as always there will always be some who will just turn up and don't have an online presence at all)

I just hope the data gathered is helpful. I get the feeling there is going to be an awful lot of people who want to say what they DON'T want rather than what they do. Something no more than 50 miles from home. Nice Hotels. Cheap accomodation. Race circuit. But want to take my dog. Cheap entry. But lots to do. I could go on.....

As for me, I am going to Silverstone. And again for the Classic. Probably Spa at some point next year, and I fancy a proper European jaunt with some good Alpine passes. Maybe Scotland too. And a few trackdays. Yes, I want to get out and enjoy using my Triumphs.....

Well, whoop-de-doo. 

I was curious to see where you had quoted from, Clive, and went to the TRR website to see if that was what the Silverstone announcement had said.   It did, but that page was only accessible form the main page via a search for "Silverstone".   It doesn't appear on the "News and Events" page at all! 

Whatever, IMHO, this is very good news indeed, for Triumph and for the whole Classic scene.  

From my own perspective, I hope that TSSC will at least support any request from the Triumph Clubs for a Triumph race in the programme!   I know that they consider racing to be for hooligans, but still I hope.

John 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, clive said:

I just hope the data gathered is helpful. I get the feeling there is going to be an awful lot of people who want to say what they DON'T want rather than what they do. Something no more than 50 miles from home. Nice Hotels. Cheap accomodation. Race circuit. But want to take my dog. Cheap entry. But lots to do. I could go on.....

That bit did worry me - how far would you be prepared to drive to attend an event? The alarm bells were ringing re something way down Souf... but Silverstone? No problem with it, I'll attend if it's on, and hopefully there'll be enough for those who have no interest in racing but want to buy parts and see cars. Let's make up for 2022.

• Like 2

I believe the Silverstone event will be used as the STF marque day. Some clubs wanted the carpark at Gaydon......Hmm, not really the place to celebrate 100 years of Triumph (and MG)

I wouldn't count on a Triumph race. I am thinking that teh MGs have  afull race program. They may capiotalise on teh punters and do some parade laps (yawn) The problem with silverstone is it is a big, fast track. You really want a proper powerful car, mine isn't up to it really, but soem of the corners are great. 

4 minutes ago, clive said:

Gaydon......Hmm, not really the place to celebrate 100 years of Triumph

I'm a little puzzled as to why you think the BMIHT museum - a museum of the British Motor Industry, including Triumph - is less suitable than Silverstone - a race track with no connection to the marque.

49 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I'm a little puzzled as to why you think the BMIHT museum - a museum of the British Motor Industry, including Triumph - is less suitable than Silverstone - a race track with no connection to the marque.

because wondering around a carpark with maybe 200 triumphs up, some club stands trying to sell some T shirts or whatever, and the main attraction being a museum is not exactly a grand event. Plus it would all be done and dusted by the evening. Certainly not a vast amount of camping available. Fine for a small event I suppose, but I will not bother again unless needed.

Silverstone, a huge place. There will be thousands? of cars. Racing to watch if you wish. Plenty of food/beer/ice cream stands etc. I expect evening entertainment, and plenty of space for everybody. Massive camping areas with fab facilities. A full weekend with plenty to do.

Can you see why I think that is a better place?

It isn't about the connection to Triumph per se. Gaydon has non really, just where the museum happens to be. A handful of Triumphs, and yes, lots of other cars on display. a half day visit is plenty. 

Well, if Silverstone turns you on, that's fine, but don't go dissing those who aren't you. All you're actually arguing for is "forget the relevance, just look at the size", which may well work for some people but to sneer so dismissively at those who aren't of that mind isn't very nice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NonMember said:

Well, if Silverstone turns you on, that's fine, but don't go dissing those who aren't you. All you're actually arguing for is "forget the relevance, just look at the size", which may well work for some people but to sneer so dismissively at those who aren't of that mind isn't very nice.

Sneering is not my style. So apologies if my comments came accross as such.

But there seem to be some  people who don't understand what a celebration of this magnitude requires. I was at the BL day at Gaydon last summer, not sure if you made it or not. Anyway, all very nice and all, but apart from wandering around the carparks and mooching through the museum there was nothing to do. Did manage to get an icecream after a long wait in the queue.

But the issue is practicality. A big celebration needs a big area. Remember the TRR events, Lincoln, Stratford, Malvern? Massive numbers there all weekend, fields of tents and so on. Gaydon would be full several times over. 

This years planned event failed, maybe the venue? not sure, hopefully the "management" have got to the bottom of it and won't make the same mistake again. But I would lay money on the fact Silverstone will be a huge success. Good location, and "something for everybody". I hope that the smaller clubs will get their own areas for displays. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, clive said:

I was at the BL day at Gaydon last summer, not sure if you made it or not. Anyway, all very nice and all, but apart from wandering around the carparks and mooching through the museum there was nothing to do. Did manage to get an icecream after a long wait in the queue.

This years planned event failed, maybe the venue? not sure, hopefully the "management" have got to the bottom of it and won't make the same mistake again. But I would lay money on the fact Silverstone will be a huge success. Good location, and "something for everybody". I hope that the smaller clubs will get their own areas for displays. 

I was at Donington, which seemed to me to be one of the worst shows ever. No-one about, just cars parked up. Where was everyone? Possibly at the racing, but the 'show' itself was dead. I saw members turn up for one run round the racetrack... and that was it. You've had your turn. What next?

It's one thing saying Silverstone will be a success, but like many I suspect I'm there for the Triumphs and the Classic Cars, not the venue, nor the racing, which doesn't appeal in the slightest. Telling someone like me 'you can see the cars racing, see the track, stand in the pits, revel in the atmosphere' etc etc does nothing for me. You may as well hold it at a football ground and tell me I can watch the match too. I want to see the things I'm into as an enthusiast, not go to someone else's hobby and hope they make a little room for me, too, as a throw-away aside. So: a word of warning: don't promote Silverstone on account of the racing. I don't want something for everybody. I want something for me. If it seems I'm going to pay nearly £700 to attend an event that pleases a few racing fans amongst us, and has very little for the rest of us, but I'm paying for someone else's enjoyment, then I'll not be there.