Failed diff bearings?

AlanT

Hi All,

I’ve got oil pouring out of one side of the diff on my Spit 1500, enough to splash the rear box! There is also a horrible sound of bearings when first setting off (if the car has sat all week) This goes after half a mile.
Rear hubs are good, UJs are new. 

Thoughts? 
thanks

Alan

941D05EA-6F86-4D97-B01D-5709A0E73B82.jpeg

DD0561E9-6B3C-4DDA-99D7-74F96C1D2239.jpeg

image.jpg

The ouput shaft assembly comes out very easily by undoing the four allen head bolts but the problem is the half shaft is in the way and under tension. Really youll want to do both sides and clear out any debris from inside the casing so I would remove the diff and open it up...

Thought you might say that! Joy!!!

Other than the output bearings are there any other sources of bearing squeal that can arise from the diff? It felt smooth when I’d checked it over,  but you know how it is when you actually drive these cars! 

The symptoms are a bit strange so maybe if someone can confirm a way of getting the output shaft out in situ (your car has a swing spring so this might be easier) you can verify the condition of the bearing. Note: replacing the seal the bearing is normally renewed at the same time.

• Like 1

you can generally move the undon shaft & coupling away enough to extract the short shaft

to change the seal you do need to remove the bearing to release the seal carrier and the bearing is a sod good fit and will take some serious bashing to get the shaft out of the bearing

there is no room to fit any puller legs  

these shafts take all the suspension thrust so thye do a lot of work and do fail from time to time 

squeals could be a siezing UJ  

there is no gasket between the retaing plate and the main diff casing    i would smear some sealer on a refit 

you will need a hex key which has to access the bolts via the holes in the coupling

Pete

Pete

when I was a 20 yr hairy yoof my 948 sheared a output shaft  so in a dark garage and a torch , pre war  screw jack and some blocks   

i dropped the whole diff only to find the short shaft nearly fell out on its own

i could have saved  lot of cursing when the spring comes up to meet the floor made a good learning curve   no such thing as haynes in 65 afaik

well i didnt have one 

pete   

Well if I get the output shafts off it should be fairly obvious if a bearing has failed. Have already taken one side hub off this afternoon as a UJ was my first thought. One was tight when fitted (a month or so back) but it seems ok, albeit looser in one direction than the other.

Got to sort the ridiculous amount of oil coming out anyway @Pete Lewis

On 23/10/2022 at 18:01, johny said:

The ouput shaft assembly comes out very easily by undoing the four allen head bolts but the problem is the half shaft is in the way and under tension. Really youll want to do both sides and clear out any debris from inside the casing so I would remove the diff and open it up...

Hi All,

Mine is undone but won’t come out! Any ideas? @johny

image.jpg