Failed diff bearings?

AlanT

17 minutes ago, johny said:

The manual says 5/16 UNF x 1" set screws so has someone put in something longer!

Seems so! It was about 1mm into the bearing so pressing the outer race. Amazing it went at all. Only realised because the new bearings wouldn’t push in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That would have been tight to screw in fully. You'd think the PO would have noticed!

Given they’d replaced the rear wings and just left 2 inch gaps where the rear inner wings / arches should have been I don’t thing they were experts…

14 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

A. its dark presumably old oil & B. there a distance apart could it be diff half shafts. Most other leaks would drain to lowest part and be on the centre line wouldn't they?

Directly below either halfshaft on the diff. That's coming out again over the winter, then...

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

only the shafts not the whole Diff 

Pete

Going to replace the rear spring with a better item; I cleaned, painted and rebushed an old spring but reckon it's worn. I have better versions so will replace. I suspect the diff is leaking from the side plates, which are distorted, rather than round the seals which I replaced a few months back. A bit of sealer or a gasket might help.

Finally drove it this morning. Transformational lowering of differential noise! Annoyingly, I can still hear a clicking UJ. One yoke is almost impossible to get the cap into (no trapped needles) and, I suspect, out of kilter. Will swap in another driveshaft. 
Thanks for all your help everyone. A great outcome.