Spitfire Mk3 oil filter adaptor

jon ken ben

Hi all. 

I'm trying to find a 5/8 to 3/4 oil filter adaptor for a 1296 triumph spitfire engine. 

Filters with 5/8 thread are harder to find than hens teeth. 

The adaptor can be found on eBay or from the likes of spitbits. The problem is that the part is inexpensive(ish) but the postage to New Zealand is extreme. One place even wanted USD$151 to send the small part to NZ. 

Anyone have any ideas on how to source one of these on this side of the world? 

Thanks in advance. 

Jonno

Haven’t forgotten you but ,

I don’t have the info at home it’s probably at my daughters in her parts for Spit purchased file!

I’ll be down there later this week

Mine was purchased off NZ Trademe and supplied by an Auckland Engineering Machine Shop, 

A check of my Trade me history it could be a company trading on Trademe as redtidetrade hope that helps?

I bought some from Rock Auto a few years ago. Bought in 10s, and passed on to other owners so we split the costs.

They worked out about £4 each, and Rock Auto managed to do all the import duty stuff etc. 

Alternatively, find somebody to make one. 

EDIT part number WIX 24037

7 minutes ago, jon ken ben said:

Thanks Peter. It would be the best solution to find one in Auckland. 

Clive, not sure there are 10 people left without one of these adaptors. Getting one made might be the way forward if one can't be sourced. If i had a lathe, can't be that hard to make......

I sold on about 30 in all. Made about 4p on each one.

I am surprised they are not more popular in the UK, it makes sourcing a decent quality filter so much easier. 

I will have a look in teh garage, I may, just may, have one left.

38 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

I don’t have the info at home it’s probably at my daughters in her parts for Spit purchased file!

Mine was purchased off NZ Trademe and supplied by an Auckland Engineering Machine Shop, 

A check of my Trade me history it could be a company trading on Trademe as redtidetrade hope that helps?

I just looked them up. They only have one listing and it's not for the adaptor. I will try to contact them. Thanks again. 

Just now, Colin Lindsay said:

Very appreciated they are, too!! Worth more than 4p for the end result!

I like to provide a service....

It was odd, lots of people really are happy enough with the "unbranded" oil filters a=that are the only ones available with the original threads. Borg and Beck? they never made oil filters, Classic Gold?? who? I want to see Bosch, Mann, Wix or whatever on the filters I fit. 

2 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Thanks again Peter. He got back to me really quickly and is making one. Got the adapter and a filter for NZD$30 which is pretty good in my mind. I'll keep his contacts if anyone else needs one, or more. 

• Like 1

Glad I thought of checking my TradeMe history for the contact 

not a bad price for adapter and oil filter

ain’t the TSSC forum marvellous, NZ chap posts a request on a UK club forum an Aussie member of the UK club responds with a local NZ manufacturer the TSSC forum is a great place with great members with fantastic advice!

happy motoring

2 hours ago, clive said:

Borg and Beck? they never made oil filters, Classic Gold?? who? I want to see Bosch, Mann, Wix or whatever on the filters I fit. 

Classic Gold was a Greatest Hits LP in the 70s. I do agree, oil is the lifeline of the engine and both oil and filter must be good quality. And pump!

2 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

If you have one made have 5/8"UNF to 20mm

The selection of filters is far greater and usually much cheaper as a lor of Moderns have 20mm

Roger

Hello All

I am talking rubbish again mine is 3/4"UNF  and made of steel I use a W916/1 but a W714/2 is smaller 

I get mine from Eurocarspares when they have a big discount and buy 3 for about £10 to £12 

Here is the Man catalog I think they the best I would not touch the white box with just a number on the side with a barge pole!

I opened one of each up once and there was about 3 to 4 times more filter paper in the Man one!

MANN-FILTER Online Catalog Europe - Product Details Oil Filter W 714/2

Roger

ps but 20mm would still be ok as there are lots of them as well

The NZ made adapter I have is 5/8in UNF (18TPI) approx 1/2in long into the Engine Block, & 3/4in UNF (16TPI) by 3/4in long for the filter. Overall including the hex at the middle is 1.5in.

The new Oil Filter used is a common Z481 here in Aus easily obtained as used on various GMH Holdens.

Looking at the 5/8in block end thread I've cut it short (hacksaw cut & file marks) presumably to ensure a good fit into the block

Pic below. 

Spitfire Oil Filter Adapter.JPG

So this is what I received today. Looks ok to me. 

As stated earlier, it was NZD$30 incl filter (wrong filter). He must have made more than one of these adaptors as he has one listed on Trademe (NZ ebay type thing) for NZD $60 incl filter. 

8% inflation my ass.

Now I just need to decide on which filter......

20221028_104705.thumb.jpg.bc59c5233db3eb0293ef3b67caab1c2e.jpg

I shortened the 5/8in diameter end to just over 1/2in length can’t remember why! probably to match the original Stanpart fitment adapter length 

I use a Z481 Ryco or similar filter ie common Aus Holden car fitment easily available here and presumably NZ and cheap

4 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

I shortened the 5/8in diameter end to just over 1/2in length can’t remember why! probably to match the original Stanpart fitment adapter length 

I use a Z481 Ryco or similar filter ie common Aus Holden car fitment easily available here and presumably NZ and cheap

I figure I'll offer it up first and see if anything needs fitting. He sent me a z386 ryco. Looks a bit small to me. The z481 is now a fuel filter according to the ryco website. Ryco are ok. What i was planning was to remove the filter on the car, measure the sealing face diameter on the car, then take a trip to repco and get them to look through their books to make sure everything lines up. They have a pretty good selection of filters.