Sliding propshaft

Pdv

I think a vitesse non od prop is the correct length. Complicated by the fact the gearbox uses the 3/8 bolts, and the original 4.11 diff 5/16 at a different PCD.

Or have you (wisely) changed the diff? 

Changing a UJ on a prop will likely put it out of balance. Swapping a flange and UJ even worse. (and yest on a dolomite I cahnged all 3 UJs and no issues with balance, it seems the small chassis cars are very sensitve to prop balance)

8 minutes ago, clive said:

I think a vitesse non od prop is the correct length.

I think that's correct for a 3-rail with overdrive in a Herald but it's not quite right for a single rail. You'll probably find the sliding spline has just enough range to accommodate it but it's not ideal.

10 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I think that's correct for a 3-rail with overdrive in a Herald but it's not quite right for a single rail. You'll probably find the sliding spline has just enough range to accommodate it but it's not ideal.

Spitfire I - IV with Overdrive 38" 0.97m
Spitfire 1500 38" 0.97m

so the implication that a single rail non od box is the exact same length as 3 rail non od. 

Midget never had an OD box. 

From experience a vitesse non OD prop is indeed an inch too long for a single rail OD box. As I needed the car for work the next day I spaced the engine/box forward an inch, 

Just to add, I don't know about fitting a single rail, but I have a Vitesse prop (sliding spline) on my Herald with a 3-rail OD gearbox, the propshaft is an incredibly tight fit, and you might need to space the engine mounts forwards by the 0.5" difference (as in the table from Canley's). As Clive said basically, it will fit, but will put strain on your mounts and probably not ideal long term.

41 minutes ago, johny said:

Unfortunately theres no other standard prop thats going to work so the only alternative is a custom made job....

Bearing in mind the issues with flange sizes, balance and the worries of a worn sliding joint, a new one may not be a daft idea. Certainly compared to the cost of having new ujs, shortened and balanced. 

Hi all,

I was told that a sliding prop was what was required, so assumed that was correct.

Well no actually, I have an overdrive prop bought at Stafford for the princely sum of £10 some years ago, when I looked last night it seemed to be to long,  however in the cold light of day by moving the engine mounts as far forward as possible it fits.

I have replaced ujs before without any issues and it would seem silly not replace these on an unknown prop, one moves easily and the other is very stiff and now is the time before the body is put back on.

Thanks for all the replies. 

Steve 

Getting confusing here, have you got OD on the new gearbox? Midgets didnt come with it so if no OD then I cant see any standard OD prop will fit🤔

A sliding joint or some other flexible arrangement is a good idea to avoid thrust particularly on the gearbox rear bearing...

To help eliminate any confusion I took a couple of pictures to show the prop in place, I also measured the prop to identify which one it was with the help of Canleys information, the pop is 451/2 and as can be seen the gearbox is a non overdrive.

Steve

20221108_100329.jpg

20221108_100259.jpg

2 hours ago, johny said:

Great, should do the job as has flexible coupling and looks right length. Not sure what its from though as dont think a standard prop was ever produced by Triumph like that...

Quite a number of heralds had them. Dreadful things if they go out of balance....

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

having the strap drive coupling to the rear is correct 

they are awful things but if it works hey ho  

Pete

Pete

Have you any idea what the Strap drive actually does?

Is it something to do with cushioning take up off drive to protect the Diff/Gearbox maybe.

I had one fitted on my First 1200 Herald, it went out of balance and was horrible at 45MPH, it shook your teeth out!!😁😁😁😬

Gary

its a way of damping prop virations by using insulated strips to transfer the drive form tub to UJ  it has a  centre spigot which locates in the end tub  these wear and concentricity is lost

the straps makingthe drive now run out and balance is awful

there were a number of these types around in the day Layrub was another used metalastic bushes on a flnged drive coupling 

none were very reliable or long lasting 

See the source image

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johny said:

Going by their website I think the one Steve has, being non standard, is a current custom made item offered by Canley. As such it could be in good condition and so hopefully avoid the problems described🤞

I doubt it very much. No way would anybody make that type of prop. I think Canley props (made by Dave mac I think) all have sliding joints, The strap drive is universally hated.

I expect Steves prop is a shortened herald prop.