Convertible Hood well Trims

Gary Flinn

46 minutes ago, Josef said:

That’s steep… I think the paint / coating might come off, but do they get destroyed enough that replacements are hard to find? 

Mine are painted Body Match colour. At that price I would be looking for an alternative? Some nice Hard Wood trim maybe stained to match the Dash?.

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Flinn said:

PS - Do they really fetch this amount of Money.

Gary  

They do, if you really desperately need some and can't find them, but usually they're much cheaper than that. That plastic coating usually peels off in places, so I've seen all kinds of replacements from vinyl coated to body-colour, or just plain black. I'm sure I have photos of home-made wooden cappings somewhere.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

They do, if you really desperately need some and can't find them, but usually they're much cheaper than that. That plastic coating usually peels off in places, so I've seen all kinds of replacements from vinyl coated to body-colour, or just plain black. I'm sure I have photos of home-made wooden cappings somewhere.

Colin

When I restored my Vitesse I stripped all the old coating off using a sharp wood chisel if I remember correctly, it was a horrid job and took me ages!!

I was lucky that a local firm that does Powder Coating and Stove Enamelling was able to replicate the original mottled type cream finish to an excellent standard, this photo's a bit fuzzy but they really did look good as new when Dumelow's at Burton-upon-Trent had coated them.

I can see why people coat them in vinyl or just paint them though.

Gary    

Vitesse Interior 4 - 2013.JPG

I have access to some well seasoned, light oak Ex remains of Gran`s 1900`s, Dining Table, parts of which succumbed to Wood worm, and got burnt I have given thought to producing Vitesse style cappings for the Doors. Taking it a step further, It may be possible with a router to produce some nice matching trims too.

Pete

12 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Has anyone tried to use/convert the Saloons rear timber capping's on the convertible?  

Yes.... they're straight and the hood well trims are curved, so they'd require bending - steam and a former would work, but even then they're quite large and may not look very... delicate...

I thought I had photos of a local car that used skirting board, stained and cut to shape, but don't seem to have them.