Spitfire gearbox overhaul

Jonah

it may just be jammed hard on the cone   but this can also be down to the stack on the mainshaft has a fit /endfloat/spacer problem 

heres hoping a good lever with a screwdrive lifts it clear   compare with the rings on 2/4th    i expect tehm to be a rattling good fit 

no rotation but jangle about between the sleeve and the cone

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

I did fit it Pete after it came apart, could it have dropped out as I assembled?

I also notice that the synchro ring teeth won’t match up with the second gear teeth, is that significant?

julian 

the gear should !!! rotate to align the dog teeth thats how synchro works 

the ring holds by the roational force to always be 1/2 tooth out of line  this is baulking ,  when the rotational forces become equal the sleeve is allowed to slide over the dog teeth

and engage the gear 

syncho and howi1.jpg

I can rotate the third gear ring to line up with the gear teeth and selection is fine but not the same with the second gear ring, it just won’t rotate enough which I guess is why I can’t get second gear selection

In summary then could it be as you said a washer problem or have I installed the synchro ring incorrectly 

julian 

2nd gear should turn freely to align with all the dog teeth    its not connected to the hub/ sleeve  its a free enterprise to turn without restriction 

until the teeth line up and the sleeve slips over them all.

there is something wrong if you cant rotate the gear wheel ( and the cluster gear ) unless its already locked into another gear and thats unlikely 

Pete

I was tidying up before I settled down with a Laphraig before calling Samaritans when after putting the cover on with the first/second selector wrongly positioned behind the first gear I was able to select second gear 

it seems to me as an almost suicidal gearbox novice that there is a problem with the synchro hubs ability to slide, or is this something to do with the positioning of the top cover selectors?

Laphraig is good though!

julian

So the selector hub was in first gear when you put the top cover back on? If so I guess the gear lever wasnt actually connected to the hub so of course the lever could move to the second position but you hadnt really moved the hub into engagement....

having a go is the best learning curve  there is no dark art with gearboxes 

obviously theres a few bit and bobs you need to understand how it all works but just remember the guys and gals on the assy lines were never Einstein's 

so read a bit ask a bit and get  oily 

Pete