Millers VSPE fuel additive

Puglet1

yes get it off   !!!!!!  the thread in the head is std 5/16unf   just setscrew and copper washer will blank it 

i dont see the low oil pressure switch should be in the same port on the block ???

the feed unless the banjo bolt is seriuosly restricted like a 0.5mm hole in a plug   you suppy so much oil to the head that the valve stems and guides get flooded and you get blue smoke in the exhaust  and a build up of burnt oil clag on the back of the valves 

the Triump idea  is simple to maintain pressure in the gallery that feeds mains and big ends  the flow up to the rockers is pulsed  done by a flat on the cam journal so the rocker feed gets a squirt with each revolution of the cam it is intended to be an interupted feed not full flow 

this awfull bit of aftermarket must have is something you must not have 

the only questionable time would be if roller rockers had been fitted and they can be another nightmare 

you want all the supply to the crank as possible 

Pete

Before rushing to remove it, there are a couple of things you need to check first.

Did whom ever fitted it BLOCK the normal oil feed route up into the head from the block - if they did, then you will need to unblock it before removing the external feed, as once the external feed is removed you will have no lubrication to the rocker shaft.  You can usually tell if the original feed is blocked by removing the rocker shaft and pedestals, remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over (quite a lot) on the starter motor to see if relatively small pumps of oil emerge out of the hole in the head that feeds into the rocker pedestal.

If you find the original feed is blocked, the you can either unblock it (requires head removal), or fit a very tiny flow restrict or at the head end of the external feed pipe - a small disc of steel, with a very small hole in it - probably less than 0.5mm diameter (others on here can advise more accurately if needed)

yes  there is a drilling comes up from the rear cam journal  passes the head gasket and continues up the head to the rear rocker pedestal 

as Kevin suggests  some block the drilling in the block when the head is off 

hopefully this has not been the case 

when i first came apon this orrible  oil  feed  it poured vast quantity into the rocker zone  we tapped the banjo bolt and threaded a slug of a bolt inside  drilled it with a 0.5 mm drill and   it was still far too much oil  so it got removed .many years ago    and the blasted things are still sold as some wonder must have .....Not

Pete

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KevinR said:

You can usually tell if the original feed is blocked by removing the rocker shaft and pedestals, remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over (quite a lot) on the starter motor to see if relatively small pumps of oil emerge out of the hole in the head that feeds into the rocker pedestal.

Without removing the pedastals, and then starting engine, it would be usual to see if the rockers are getting oil. Though in my experience, a worn shaft with the small oil scrolls in the rocker areas worn away, would hinder supply, as would any blocked oil holes in the shaft/rockers

1 hour ago, daverclasper said:

Without removing the pedastals, and then starting engine, it would be usual to see if the rockers are getting oil. Though in my experience, a worn shaft with the small oil scrolls in the rocker areas worn away, would hinder supply, as would any blocked oil holes in the shaft/rockers

It seems that method will save me some work. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Peter Truman said:

Temporally remove the countersunk screw from the rear of the shaft oil comes out quite quickly,

How do Iknow it came out on my 2500TC around 78 didn’t fall down the pushrod holes but bugge**d the shaft!

Remember to replace the screw

Did you start the engine or were you able to see oil coming out of the countersunk screw when engine was just cranked over?

The screw had come out on it’s own and I could see the oil pumping out the rocker shaft was buggered! I’d travelled quite a distance with the screw out.

you should be ok to run it a minute or soo but remember to screw the screw back in tight