Millers VSPE fuel additive

Puglet1

Hello All.

Ā I am planning to pick up our new (to usšŸ˜€) Mk2 Vitesse tomorrow. I have bought some VSPE in preparation for the journey home. Which fuel do I need to use with it, E5 or E10? Sorry if this seems a silly question but I have no previous experience with a 50year old car.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I use Super E5 in both of my 2L cars. Both have valve seats changed for unleaded although many folk will tell you that it isn't necessary on cars running relatively limited mileages. I have used E10 when I couldn't get E5 and the car ran reasonably well but lacked a bit of oomph.

• Like 1

The engine was designed for higher octane fuel so E5 97/98/99 octane will be better. It will run on E10 95 octane, but perhaps not perfectly depending on how it has been set up / maintained. For getting it home, donā€™t be too concerned! On additives, the consensus seems to be not to bother. Iā€™ve had my Herald 15 years, itā€™s had the occasional bit of fuel additive and especially when I was younger and poorer I used 95 octane fuel. Iā€™ve seen mild signs of VSR over that time. A Vitesse will be happier with higher octane though.Ā 

• Like 1

the valve seats of a head with no hard inserts fitted has many thousands of miles lead memory and if you browse the whole of the fourum i dont recall any member having any seat problemsĀ 

i seriuosly agree use a E5 97/99 fuelĀ  in fact the esso site says they have to say E5 is present but in fact they dont add any

i would save the money you might spend od silly must have addatives and just buy the higher octane fuel and drive itĀ 

with 97+ fuel you can use close to TriumphĀ  specified timing and mixture settind and the car will perform to its optimumĀ 

95 2* was in the day more for low compression side valves and your motor mower , why put it in your sports saloon ????

Pete

• Like 1

The one thing I would say about ethanol in fuel is that job number one should be to replace all the fuel hoses with proper R9/R14 grade, unless you can see very clearly and certainly that this has been done recently!Ā 

• Like 1

Once up to temperature you can hear how the engine is running on the fuel youve used, in particular listen for 'pinking/knocking'. This is metallic pinging rattling sound which you wont hear in modern cars as they have systems to stop it but isnt a problem if not excessive. The limit is that the sound should stop if accelerating in 4th gear on the flat before you reach 2000rpm and if it carries on after this there can be various possibly causes with one being too low octane fuel. In this case the solution is to increase the octane or slightly retard engine ignition timing from the standard settingšŸ‘

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

seriuosly agree use a E5 97/99 fuelĀ  in fact the esso site says they have to say E5 is present but in fact they dont add any

The specification fo E5 is 'upto 5%' so there could be none of very little depending on supplier.

Enjoy your first run in the car.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2023 at 20:02, Pete Lewis said:

club shop sell Gates BarricadeĀ  Ā  there are two sizesĀ  1/4"Ā  5/16"Ā 

Ā£6 per half metre plus p&p. I bought some from a local merchants only this week (Swindon Car and Truck) for Ā£9 per metre with zero p&p. It pays to shop around.

• Like 1

forget the addativesĀ  just a waste of moneyĀ  Ā if you waste you wallet on every must have addative thats for sale is just playing the worry myth

by the time you have a shelf full of leak stopper, synchro solver ,piston reviver ring sealer ,oil seal fixerĀ  you wont afford any petrol ...

remember the loss of leaded and the milenium clockĀ  Ā and are we doomedĀ  Ā NOĀ 

get realĀ  Ā use 97+ and drive itĀ 

if you ever need the head off then dream about exhaust inserts at that timeĀ 

i drove my 1600 likeĀ  i stole it for 15 yearsĀ  and never a problemĀ  Ā the lead memory will out last any worries about unleaded fuelsĀ  Ā just keepĀ  to E5 97 of betterĀ 

and get the smileĀ 

Pete

Found my Mk1 2L ran better without additive, mainly use Tesco super unleaded as it's convenient. Had the head of the engine just over a year ago, failed head gasket, no sign of valve seat recession, so didn't bother with valve seat inserts.

Regards

Paul

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

forget the addativesĀ  just a waste of moneyĀ  Ā 

use 97+ and drive itĀ 

if you ever need the head off then dream about exhaust inserts at that timeĀ 

i drove my 1600 likeĀ  i stole it for 15 yearsĀ  and never a problemĀ  Ā the lead memory will out last any worries about unleaded fuelsĀ  Ā just keepĀ  to E5 97 of betterĀ 

and get the smileĀ 

Pete

Hi Pete.

My wife has just gone through a bunch of old documents that the PO gave us. It looks like he fitted an unleaded head from Rimmers around 2011 . Not sure if this can be identified without removing the head ? so I think definitely no need for an additive. Many thanks. Pete.

18 hours ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

IĀ£6 per half metre plus p&p. I bought some from a local merchants only this week (Swindon Car and Truck) for Ā£9 per metre with zero p&p. It pays to shop around

The Club Shop Gates Barricade IS Gates Barricade, sometimes you have to pay to be sure.

Fuel additive turned my plugs pink so I wasn't sure if I was running rich or lean. Don't use it now.

Doug

• Like 1

if you can get a endoscopeĀ  often cheap in lidl and aldi it may be possible to see the exhaust seat via the spark plug holeĀ  Ā  never tried

but if the documents say soĀ  i would take it as read and sleep easy .. with anĀ  addative free lifeĀ 

like Doug some others have found the addative dyed the plugsĀ  Ā and he doesnt have rose tinted glassesĀ 

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

unleaded head from Rimmers around 2011 .

some stamp a part number onthe face inside the rocker zoneĀ Ā 

put cyl head in the canley search and you get all the part numbers across the rangeĀ 

Welcome to Canley Classics : Canley Classics

Ā 

never everĀ  be tempted toĀ  fit the "spawn of satan"Ā  Ā external rocker oil feed kitĀ  Ā  Ā  unless you wish to flood the valve guides and reduce flow to the main brgs !!!

Pete