Clutch Bearing Query

Phil C

Morning All,

Just a general question which will apply to most cars, a Vitesse in my case.

Viewing the release bearing in operation I notice the bearing stays contact with the clutch when released and therefore continues to spin.

Manually releasing the actuating arm further very slightly (1-2mm) and it stops.

I am assuming the bearing is not designed to spin continuously.

there is a spring in the slave to keep the bearing in contact with the diaphragm fingers ,  it is quite normal practice to do this as it should stop finger wear. 

on some new bearing  being a bit stiff initially some get the budgie squeaks and tweets as the bearing skids on the fingers this normally disappears with a little use

detected with a very light touch of the pedal and the tweets stop 

so you can add a spring to load the contact or devise a stop to create some sort of free play  which will cost you pedal travel 

Pete

Thanks Pete,

The clutch is all new and yes the budgie squeak is what drew my attention to investigate. I think for now will leave it alone and hopefully the noise will disappear. If not it is all easily accessible to add a spring/stop later.

yes as Pete says all the parts from slave to pressure plate need to be kept in contact so they're held in place ready to operate as soon as you press the pedal. The bearing although spinning is very lightly loaded when not in use so the wear to it is minimal...

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 28/03/2023 at 11:01, Pete Lewis said:

there is a spring in the slave to keep the bearing in contact with the diaphragm fingers

Can I resurrect this topic please?

My original problem was that I was concerned the bearing was in permanent contact with the fingers, however I was reassured this was normal.

Now I have the opposite problem!

I have started to have difficulty engaging 1st and reverse and realise the clutch pedal now has around 1" free play (i.e. before engaging with the clutch). 

Would I be correct in assuming the cause is the slave cylinder internal spring is not doing its job? If so this is a little disappointing as it has done less than 50 miles.

Of course all trim/carpet/sound insulation is now fully installed so making the job even more of a pain ☹️

Thanks Guys.

Air in system was my first thought so did bleed it again but solo so never really sure what is happening at the other end! Will repeat with assistance.

Couldn’t see any leakage and certainly the master level had not dropped.

Will check pedal return but all refurbished so should be ok.

Had a closer look to see if I could identify where the play was occuring and found the pedal clevis pin hole was badly worn. I had been driving the car without carpet/sound felt which had allowed sufficient pedal movement so the problem went unnoticed. However having just fitted the interior it soon became apparent.

I have now welded up the hole, re-drilled to the correct size and all seems to work as it should.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Phil C said:

ad a closer look to see if I could identify where the play was occuring and found the pedal clevis pin hole was badly worn. I had been driving the car without carpet/sound felt which had allowed sufficient pedal movement so the problem went unnoticed. However having just fitted the interior it soon became apparent.

I have now welded up the hole, re-drilled to the correct size and all seems to work as it should.

Well done

• Thanks 1