Mk3 Standard Exhaust

Sandy Gibson

After years of annoying the neighbours with a fairly noisy exhaust I have gone for a new standard Mk3 system.

Old system was cobbled together with mainly Mk2 pipes and my problem is I don’t know where the standard Mk3 mounts go.

I assume the first hanger is off the bell housing but not sure of the next two.  My books seem to show a bracket coming off the diff mount but my car hasn’t got that bracket and I’m not sure where it goes.  Also the last hanger I guess is suspended from the boot floor?

Anyone got any clear drawings or photos?  Thanks in advance.

Sandy

As Pete says, hanger from the diff nose plate, there should be a bolt hole there.

The rear-most hanger attaches to a small bit of bent metal on the boot floor, rear right corner. If that's not there you can drill a hole and bolt a bit of angle on. The exact position I would need to crawl under and measure, or it might be easier to fit the exhaust temporarily and work it out.

• Thanks 1

It is a problem when the poster thinks we all know what they own 

if there are no clues about the model of car you can often find out by a quick click on the avatar to open the  members profile and with some

luck the model is  shown by the member .  failing that its a crystal ball  and we know they don't work well 

so  a  quick prompt to all  make and model in a posting  actually does help in providing help  

many a guess or sherlock  mode  is not  always   helpful .

Pete

Thanks all for help.  It is indeed a 1968 Spitfire Mk 3 1296cc engine but I am still having a problem getting the exhaust to fit.

First two sections seem OK but I can’t seem to get the end silencer section to fit in.  I’m fairly sure I’m being a bit stupid but it is driving me mad!  Does anyone have a photo of how the pieces are orientated to fit correctly?
 Thanks

Sandy

88D360B0-2A4E-4907-AC88-8CEDCB9986D9.jpeg

746295B0-4042-4C34-8831-0EBDA75B4949.jpeg

DC229F49-8E35-4960-9842-8B70F11B0957.jpeg

OK, here are three views of mine. Note that this car has been extensively rebuilt, so I can't guarantee it's absolutely right, but I believe it's close. Also, when I fitted the exhaust, I think I had to trim an inch or two off the middle pipe to make it fit.

3-FromBelow.jpg

2-MidView.jpg

1-LeftView.jpg

• Thanks 1

Handy to see this as the tailpipe fell right off my silencer at the weekend. I welded it back on to keep the car going, but a new system is going to be needed shortly and it’s good to see where I’ll have to put it!