Vitesse clutch and brake master cylinder compatibility

daverclasper

Here are my Mk2 Vitesse Master's with Girlock Extensions, and a pic of my daughters Mk2 Spitfire with I assume standard style Master's all have been modified with S/S sleeves.

Interestingly I've just noticed on the Spit the brake master is shorter in height than the clutch, maybe the clutch slave is larger requiring more volume?

I'm in the process of converting the Spit from Type 12 to Type 14 Calipers so will have to upgrade the brake master cylinder I have a spare large volume (PBR now Bosch here) Vitesse type so I took it to my local brake service guy who S/S sleeved all the other masters he's saying that the S/S sleeve could be over $200, I can buy the NOS aftermarket Spit Mk3 plastic reservoir type for $130??

Didn't expect that would like the S/S sleeve for longlevity but not at that cost! Anyway I'll still have the larger Vitesse Brake Master as a spare to sleeve if needed in the future.

Next issue. will the new larger Spit Brake Master clear the windscreen wiper rack?

Vitesse Masters with Girlock Extensions.JPG

Mk2 Spit Master Cylinders.JPG

8 hours ago, daverclasper said:

Would this be ok to use if necessary/needed to replace a faulty brake M/C

Cheers, Dave 

I have a Land Rover clutch MC on my Vitesse brakes and it works very well so theres no problem doing this. However you must make sure any one you use has a big enough bore or pedal travel will be excessive. Check that your spare unit is as least as big as the standard brake MC. 😳

Thanks guys, very useful stuff.  It's for a ,continue the holiday (as all our holidays involve the car) repair if need be in my case, without dismantling the Cylinders. I can always reseal the originals later, as bores are good.

Most of my failures have been down to the small seal and loss of pressure, rather than the main seal going completely

Edited by daverclasper

• 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Steve P said:

I had the "upgraded" brake master on my Herald.It took a lot more leg power to make the brakes work.

Now swapped for a Vitesse master and 4 pot callipers, a vast improvement on the type 14`s.

Steve

Yes I think the 0.75" (Land Rover) MC is a step too far for anything other than type 16 calipers which have bigger pistons so maintain the correct balance of pedal travel, brake feel and leg effort.