Here is another one from New Zealand

ahebron

John I will try and scan a copy of the magazine article for you.
My info so far
Alan Woolf probably has his racing Vitesse still from the 1970s.
Grahams car still exists and current owner keeps meaning to race it.
Bruce Garland sold his car but kept some bits.

Here is the article for all to enjoy.
John I am tracking down Grahams contact detail for you but I will  not put that up on the public facing forum.
I will PM you with that once I receive it.

FYI Pukekohe race track which is mentioned in the article ran its final race early this year.
It is being returned to horse racing I believe.

And sorry about the upside down page, it didnt leave me in that state🙃

Triumph Vitesse Racing Car_20230420_0001.pdf

Edited by ahebron

Looks like John Kipping has replied.
I recently heard of a local club member who is building a replica of the Toledo that ran in the Benson and Hedges 500 at Pukekohe in 72 or 73.

I have sent the PH site page to a fellow Triumph club member who will probably pass it on to the above

• 4 months later...

Here is another NZ Racing Vitesse

https://talkmotorsport.co.nz/rally/barry-robinson-to-be-remembered-at-wyndham-rally/

TalkMotorsport Logo
Search for: 
Register

Category: Rally | Written by: Lindsay Beer

Barry Robinson to be remembered at Wyndham Rally

|Photographer Credit: Terry Marshall

Lock in Saturday 7 October for a very special Wyndham Rally which will remember iconic rally driver Barry Robinson.

Robinson, who passed away in March 2022, was a South Island rally legend who led the 1983 New Zealand Rally Championship into the final round only to suffer an engine failure which cost him the title and left him the championship runner-up. He won the Otago Rally in 1981, 82, 83 and 91 and the Southland Rally in 1983 and 95.

He also won a Canterbury Rally and was a fan favourite at the Ashley Forest Rallysprint through his exploits in Vauxhall Chevette’s over the years. Locally he won the Wyndham Rally multiple times including a hat trick in 1988, 1989 and 1990 as well as the inaugural Catlins Coast Rally in 1991 with his daughter Anna alongside in the co-driver seat for that event. Robinson farmed in the Mokoreta area near Wyndham during the height of his rallying career. 

The Eastern Southland Car Club will organise the event. The club has run many such events over the year’s including their first Catlins Forest Rally on 10th August 1977 which was its fourth Rally after the first three Gore based events. The Wyndham Rallies were early Clubman type events, closed to allow only members of the club running the event plus neighbouring clubs. The last Wyndham Rally was held in 1998.

TM0648-Barry-Robinson-Shoreline.jpgBarry Robinson in a Triumph competing in his pre-Chevette days – Photo Terry Marshall

Rally Secretary, Roger Laird says, “we are back, and delighted to have the support of MLT as our naming sponsor plus that of Rayonier NZ, the Southland District Council, Gore District Council and the landowners on the rally route to put this event together. There is already a huge amount of interest in the event and entries are coming in. Past competitors from the Wyndham Rally are keen to come back and do it again and the event has given a lot of people the motivation to get their rally cars out of sheds.” 

The rally will be centred on the township of Wyndham, 45 kilometres east of Invercargill and 25km south of Gore. It will start at the MLT Three Rivers Hotel in Redan Street, Wyndham at 9.30am on Saturday 7 October from where competitors will embark on five Special Stages consisting of 126km of magic, gravel special stages with no stage repeated throughout the day.

The first stage, Wyndham Valley, is over 17.49 km and is followed by a stage of similar length, the 17.02 Mt Herbert stage. Cars then return to Wyndham for a Service Park before the 28.12km third stage in Waikawa Valley followed by the longest stage of the event, Quarry Hills over 43.06km. The cars head back to Wyndham for another Service Park before the final stage at Tuturau over 20.79km.

The rally then ends where it began, at the MLT Three Rivers Hotel in Wyndham after 126km of Special Stage competition linked by 110km of touring stage mileage.

With the start and finish plus two Service Parks in Wyndham, the township will be a real focal point of the event.

The event prizegiving will take place in Gore at the MLT Croydon Lodge with the winning crew awarded the Barry Robinson Memorial Trophy. The rally also carries points toward the Eastern Southland Car Club Rally Championship.

•  
  •  
  •  

I dont know Peter. As far as I am aware they did not import the Aussie 12/50 into NZ.
It could be a private import but it was expensive thing to do back in the 60/70s
Also it is the same owner driver in the Vitesse Saloon in the first photo.
Both cars have right hand fuel tanks and are what looks like 2 tone paint, the roofs and sills could be black as are the headlight surrounds on the coupe.
I think they did a roof swap.
NZ assembled 1200 and 13/60 Heralds the Stoke plant near Nelson in Saloon and Estate only.
Therefore NZ assembled Herald doors and bodies do not have any parts for convertibles built into them.
There are a few NZ asembled Vitesse Saloons, they are prefix 3
There is/was a V8 Vitesse Coupe racing in NZ that was built by the owner 

• Thanks 1

No, no!    I was not criticising!   I love that old, formal advertising style!

Why not, instead of "I'm lovin' it" or "Finger-lickin' good" (Yuk) use "Col. Sanders Courteously Invites the Public to Essay a Taste of His Kentucky Fried Chicken"?

John

• Like 2

Calm down gentlemen😇

Southland NZ is still delightfully behind the rest of the world and long may it continue.
Just dont tell anyone from there I said this
It is one of the few places that has a distinct dialect, they roll the 'r' when speaking. Its a quick way (but often wrong) to distinguish between a local and an import

• 1 month later...