Vitesse/Herald boot lid catching

ahebron

The boot lid on my Vitesse 6 just catches the trim strip on the rh tail light.
I recall someone commenting in the past that that this is a side effect of compensating for tub spread and pulling in the B post tops.
Anyway no matter how it is caused I need to rectify it before I carry on.
I propose to use my 4 ton hydraulic ram between two pieces of 5x5 timber between the taillight fins, they will have a piece of dense foam between the timber and the body to offer some protection.
Does this seem to be a sane idea or does anyone have experience with a better way of doing this.
I pulled in my tub spread using the hydraulic ram one side at a time.

Thanks
Adrian

I cannot see much wrong with your aproach?. As an aside I would measure, or perhaps even brace the B Posts?. As the potential effect of pushing out on the rear wings could Twist the B posts in?. (if you follow?).

I "curred" spread with a 10 ton Span Strap. over the body!!.

Pete

Is the boot lid over to one side or is it tight both sides? Movement, wear damaged hinges can cause the boot lid to move to one side as it closes. Also stress cracks on the edge of the boot lid can cause the lid to distort slightly, I think this is caused by years of being supported by only one boot stay, alowing the lid to sag on the drivers side when propped open, provoking a slight twist.

Mine catches the left-hand, yet when closed - and I remember to put a little bit of sideways pressure on it as I close it - the gaps are even on both sides. I'd blame the lid or hinges (although I've replaced both hinges recently) rather than the tub.

• 3 weeks later...