rear flange

david lewis

Thats correct, providing the ages are similar you can drop the layshaft and swap the input shafts over

later boxes had a tooth profile change and mix and match could be a noisy mistake

povidint the coupling spigot is same and bolt dia its a straight fit but its easy to swap the couplings over

If the box is 'early' i.e.1600 Vitesse it will be three synchro and will have a different input shaft - as will any six cylinder 'box.  The square flange is normal, but if different to the current box in your Herald then you probably have a Spit IV box - with synchro on first.  You can probably  cobble the bits together, but may be easier to get the right box.

there is a loud rattle from the box at tickover especially when cold which goes away when the clutch is depressed,its also evident when accelerating in 3rd gear.

i have phoned and emailed mike papworth several times for advice and quote for repairs

but have had no response whatsoever--strange ! so i may have a go myself.

cheers

I have rebuilt many boxes for members around here and far away, there is always a problem with exchange...  for you are trying to balance used core with   few  NOS very  few parts are manufactured new.  so parts to revive something well past its designed life  become harder to procure.  compromise does not always give you utopia.

tooth fatigue is one hurdle that is un estimateable, 

the main  wear culprit is the under engineered ,weak mainshaft spigot and layshaft needle wear.

using the later 18mm gives some life but  then you need a input shaft to match.

if you want a run to Luton for a natter and cuppa we can examine and devise a repair .

Pete