What to take on a trip.

brian GT6.

So, I am doing a road trip in a couple of weeks with my daughter in the GT6. Going across the ferry from portsmouth to st malo then taking the back roads down to Bordeaux, camping. I've got the club peter james insurance which comes with european accident breakdown insurance.

The question is what tools and spares should I bring?

The car has had lots of mechanical work over the years, jigsaw engine, recon diff, cv joint conversion driveshafts, new brake cylinders, new calipers, new wishbones new dampers all round, electronic ignition distributor (supplied by jigsaw), in fact the only bit of the car that isn't new mechanically is the gearbox, which is fairly quiet.

However, i've never driven it further than 100 miles before. It doesn't like getting hot in traffic on a hot day.

Any advice appreciated. Looking for a reasonable list of things to take.

I think, wether going long distances or closer to home, it depends what sort of work you are likely to undertake if the need arose. If the car did unfortunately have a fairly simple problem that you could fix it would be a shame if you didn't have the parts or tools to do so.

Personally, I always carry dist cap, HT lead, spark plug, rotor arm, points/condenser (to replace electronic ign), fan belt, brake fluid, oil, water, tube of gasket maker, electrical tape, roll of strong reinforced tape (temp hose repair), electrical wire, testing bulb, selection of nuts, bolts, hose clips etc. Oh and a spare fuel pump, but only because I have a spare lying around. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, cliff.b said:

I think, wether going long distances or closer to home, it depends what sort of work you are likely to undertake if the need arose. If the car did unfortunately have a fairly simple problem that you could fix it would be a shame if you didn't have the parts or tools to do so.

Personally, I always carry dist cap, HT lead, spark plug, rotor arm, points/condenser (to replace electronic ign), fan belt, brake fluid, oil, water, tube of gasket maker, electrical tape, roll of strong reinforced tape (temp hose repair), electrical wire, testing bulb, selection of nuts, bolts, hose clips etc. Oh and a spare fuel pump, but only because I have a spare lying around. 

Incidentally, I have never actually needed any of this lol

I've done about 15 trips to Le Mans for the 24hrs, along with a few summer holiday trips to Burgundy in either my Spitfire or 2000 and would echo cliff.b's list.  Take the escential fluids, a good bag of tools, ignition service items, some electrical crimp contectors and a buntch of cable ties.

I know some people will be heading off for the Le Mans Classic right now with more spares in the boot than camping equipment but generally if you keep your car in good order there's no reason it should break down and if it's more than just a running repair, well that's what the breakdown cover's there for!

On 26/06/2023 at 17:06, brian GT6. said:

So, I am doing a road trip in a couple of weeks with my daughter in the GT6. Going across the ferry from portsmouth to st malo then taking the back roads down to Bordeaux, camping. I've got the club peter james insurance which comes with european accident breakdown insurance.

The question is what tools and spares should I bring?

The car has had lots of mechanical work over the years, jigsaw engine, recon diff, cv joint conversion driveshafts, new brake cylinders, new calipers, new wishbones new dampers all round, electronic ignition distributor (supplied by jigsaw), in fact the only bit of the car that isn't new mechanically is the gearbox, which is fairly quiet.

However, i've never driven it further than 100 miles before. It doesn't like getting hot in traffic on a hot day.

Any advice appreciated. Looking for a reasonable list of things to take.

Top of the list.... Written permission from 'er indoors!

Nigel

• Haha 2