GT6 Mk3 Spin On Oil Filter - Oil Cooler Blanking

Blakes73

Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to by blanking caps for a spin on oil filter conversion housing? I would like to remove the oil cooler hoses/cooler and run without one when the the restoration is complete.

On that subject are oil coolers really a necessity?

Edited by Blakes73

• Blakes73 changed the title to GT6 Mk3 Spin On Oil Filter - Oil Cooler Blanking

Yes you can and no they're not. Like many of the 'upgrades' floating about we're being sold fast road / race equipment that barely makes any difference during normal road driving. It sounds sporty, having an oil cooler, but in reality unless you're doing prolonged high rev driving they make little difference to anything. If you can't remove the cooler adaptor completely then I know blanking plugs are available, but if you can identify the threads on the outlets then a suitable short bolt and fibre washer will do the job.

• Like 1

Be very careful if you try blanking off the pipe connections. Many years ago I tried this using a couple of plumbing end caps. It resulted in no oil pressure. I swapped it for a same make ( Mocal) spin on filter but without oil cooler and immediately got oil pressure again. I think the oilways through the adaptor are routed differently.

• Like 1

Definitely. The oil ways inside a spin on adaptor for an oil cooler are different to a non cooler one so you have three choices:

either connect a short hose directly between the two ports or;

blank the ports AND drill out the internal connection that the non cooler adaptor comes with or;

buy a new spin on adaptor.... 

• Like 1

My preferred option would be to convert the existing adaptor by plugging its cooler ports and opening an internal oil way. Looking at them I reckon this last involves no more than running a drill (biggest possible) through the threaded spin on filter conduit into the casting internal wall so that the cooler ports are effectively bypassed...

RR1238.jpg

• Like 1

With regards to the earlier posts regarding the danger of closing off oilways in the adaptor heads, I knew I had seen them back in the day as a with / without option. It seems some suppliers are selling the same adaptor, with the oilways closed off on one or drilled out and tapped on the other. This being the case, then blanking off oilways on an already drilled cooler won't make any difference? Step up, who's going to volunteer their engine to confirm? :)

Screenshot2023-07-06at12_19_51.png.e2db8964ccedcaaa1d0d66888b4a9db7.png

• Like 1

I think Colin the way it works is theres one casting made with internal oil passage and both oil cooler ports all blocked. Then for use with an oil cooler you drill and tap the two ports but leave their internal bypass passage blocked or for no cooler you dont drill the ports but yes their internal bypass👍

It means the flow is through the filter first then off to cooler (or not) and back out of adaptor into engine block....