Interesting article - Laycock Overdrive

Paul H

Really good article Paul. It’s a shame that I didn’t see this a few months back. When I bought my car, the vendor said it had a D type overdrive fitted.

It was leaking oil from the speedo drive seal and the bottom filter plate so I bought a seal and gasket kit for it.

The parts arrived and were totally different to the ones on the car……Yep I have the J type one.

If anyone would like the D type kit that I bought Free Of Charge, please send me your details and I’ll pop it in the post.

Pete.

Excellent article! I'm trying to confirm at present if Heralds were available from the factory with overdrive fitted. None of my accessory catalogues, or parts manuals, list it at all as an offered accessory, but I'm wondering if this means it was not a Dealer option, but still could have been a factory option? 

There was a very detailed display model at Stafford years ago (2010), I took photos of it:

overdrive1.thumb.JPG.8fa66a3b97081d461c7877b270530843.JPG

overdrive4.thumb.JPG.90c9135d63ddf482d74b23046796f194.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Excellent article! I'm trying to confirm at present if Heralds were available from the factory with overdrive fitted.

I’d be interested to know what you find. My impression was that anything feasible was available on special order, but I’ve no actual evidence for that…

I've often wondered if the OD on my Vit was dealer fitted after initial purchase, even though the BL Heritage build sheet specifies OD on the options. I'm the second owner. Looking at the state of the prop tunnel, it looked like some mongrel had attacked it with a hacksaw and bent two or three ' strips' of floor back to access the prop flange, then bent them back again after. There was no proper cover plate fitted, but I've since tidied it up and made a plate. As to the special order question, I think Josef could be right - anything possible, IF you paid. Vitesse estates never officially existed did they, but we know Park Royal built a few.

if OD was a factory fitted option there will be a 0 in the  end  commision plate letters 

but  my 1600 had OD as factory fitted on the heritage cert but com  was HB......DLRS

which i cant get any clues on now 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis