Fuel gauge

Mr.T

Good Evening Again 

I have another query this time regarding a fuel gauge. I sure I have read somewhere you can match your sender unit to your gauge by adding in a resister ??.

The herald sender reads 16ohms and 244ohms empty / full. The gauge reads 132 ohms.

Any ideas please. 

Thanks in advance 

Martin 

is the car old enough for non stabilised gauges or has a voltatage stabiliser  as sender units are not mix and match  both are completely not interchagable

are the needles a slow moving (stabilised )  or move instanly ( non stabilised )

voltage stabilisers control the gauges or charging voltage changes would alter the needle reading if the unit (on back of the speedo) fails you get silly high reading 

but igf you have the wrong sender float assy you cant solve with  twiddling as the operation is very different 

is this 6 hole or bayonet fixed sender in the tank 

do make sure if it has a stabiliser that the speedo case is earthed 

Pete

10 hours ago, Mr.T said:

Good Evening Again 

I have another query this time regarding a fuel gauge. I sure I have read somewhere you can match your sender unit to your gauge by adding in a resister ??.

The herald sender reads 16ohms and 244ohms empty / full. The gauge reads 132 ohms.

Any ideas please. 

Thanks in advance 

Martin 

The sender resistance readings seem to indicate the later bimetallic stabilised system so as Pete says critical to have the correct gauge and voltage regulator output. The latter can be checked by measuring the voltage at the supply wire (green/black) on the sender which, when disconnected and with the ignition on, should show approximately 10v to earth....

Since I have two Spitfires I have two of almost everything. I was thinking about trying to use a standard fuel gauge to show how full a battery is. (I know there are voltmeters etc. it is really just a thought experiment)

Anyone have a clue if that would be possible at all...?

My herald has been fitted with a number of gauges at some time in its life.  I have been tidying up some of the wiring. Gauges I guess are possible out of a spitfire. The voltage stabiliser has been disconnected and there is separate  circuit board voltage stabiliser Wired in to provide power to the separate gauges. The gauges all work apart from the fuel gauge. It does work and goes to full when just power is connected. As I believe its to do with the different resistance. The fuel sender is the bayonet type and looks brand new. I can't see anywhere to adjust it. Its not a smiths gauge so there are no holes allowing you to adjust it. 

It's back to the drawing board and maybe some Googling. 

Could be a possibility as you can read the resistance as you move the sender arm. Not sure how that would effect the empty reading. Have found the gauge is empty 10 ohms and full is 180 ohms. The sender is 16  ohms empty and 244 ohms full. How you adjust the gauge is the question. Might bit the bullet and take gauge apart and see what's inside.