Low mileage Vitesse 6 for Auction next weekend

Gary Flinn

Whenever I follow one of these auction links I get drawn into browsing the other Lots available. There's a lovely Nova GTE in the sale - I had the 1.4i version back in the early 1990's and loved it: so much better than the Corsa which followed. Always had a soft spot for Vauxhalls, with my first car having been a Mk 1 Astra.

Gully

Did over a 100,000 miles in a 1300, Opel's over head cam engine, Mk1 Astra three door which I bought nearly new.

Went through several water pumps which was used to tension the cam belt, l converted the carburettor to manual choke from the electric one.

Memories, but don't ask me what l did yesterday.

Regards

Paul.

I actually went to have a look at the car on Friday, it was very good but not without a few bodywork issues.

The interior was about as good as your going to get for a Vitesse 6, the engine, gearbox and Differential, who knows as your not allowed to even start the car up, never mind go for a test drive with it being auctioned.

I did register to bid, but in the end it went for more than I and a good mate who knows these cars well thought it was worth (Hammer price was £8K plus the commission)   

The search goes on.

Gary

Edited by Gary Flinn

4 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

I actually went to have a look at the car on Friday, it was very good but not without a few bodywork issues.

The interior was about as good as your going to get for a Vitesse 6, the engine, gearbox and Differential, who knows as your not allowed to even start the car up, never mind go for a test drive with it being auctioned.

I did register to bid, but in the end it went for more than I and a good mate who knows these cars well thought it was worth (Hammer price was £8K plus the commission)   

The search goes on.

Gary

It did look super nice in the photos, those lovely unique Vitesse 6 carpets looked really clean.

What were the bodywork issues, I suspect the whole car had been repainted?

Regards
Jon

1 hour ago, Jon J 1250 said:

It did look super nice in the photos, those lovely unique Vitesse 6 carpets looked really clean.

What were the bodywork issues, I suspect the whole car had been repainted?

Regards
Jon

Jon

The car had been repainted for sure, the front off-side wheel arch and wing had been repaired and you could feel a small hole/slot on the outer wheel arch were it met the wing repair panel, the lower edges of the front wings under the bonnet catches were different each side too, so one had been repaired.

I wasn't happy with the fit of the nearside front wing with the door either, you can make this out in the attached Photo.

I could see a number of repairs to the front floor pans and also feel repairs to the rear nearside inner arches, but the car is 60+ years old so to be expected I suppose

I couldn't see any rust issues though, apart from a few minor surface imperfections to the paint/underseal near the differential.

My preference is for a convertible model anyway and I'm probably too fussy!

Regards

Gary     

Front Wing to door fit.jpg

Edited by Gary Flinn

On 22/08/2023 at 07:10, Pete Lewis said:

aha the old air scoop door gap   when the repair wing is fitted flat not to the contour 

we had this on the Vit6 and had to jack the lower bonnet wing   out to get it close 

sound like you missed out on a bit of a headache  .   

Pete

Pete

Yes, there would have been several issues I would have had to sort out to be happy with it.

The chances are, with it not being used for a while either other things would raise there heads too, the brake and clutch hydraulics and no doubt those troublesome Solex carbs would need sorting too!

I've not heard anyone say a good word about the Twin Solex set up on the early Vitesse 6's, someone I know called them Sludge Gulpers😁.

The car had no recent M.O.T. History and although I know it doesn't presently need a M.O.T. Test, I would have got it done for peace of mind.

Another thing that put me off was no history with the car, the only things present at the auction to see were a number of old M.O.T's, a handbook, a Workshop Manual and a 3rd place Trophy from the TSSC Stafford show.

No receipts for the restoration work detailing what had been done, no previous owners receipts or history either. 

The search goes on

Gary 

Edited by Gary Flinn

19 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

on

The car had been repainted for sure, the front off-side wheel arch and wing had been repaired and you could feel a small hole/slot on the outer wheel arch were it met the wing repair panel, the lower edges of the front wings under the bonnet catches were different each side too, so one had been repaired.

I wasn't happy with the fit of the nearside front wing with the door either, you can make this out in the attached Photo.

I could see a number of repairs to the front floor pans and also feel repairs to the rear nearside inner arches, but the car is 60+ years old so to be expected I suppose

I couldn't see any rust issues though, apart from a few minor surface imperfections to the paint/underseal near the differential.

My preference is for a convertible model anyway and I'm probably too fussy!

I see what you mean, I've seen quite a few where the profile of the replacement front wing doesn't match the door, the new wings must need a fair bit of fettling to fit correctly.

A shame that the body had needed quite a bit of work for the mileage, I don't think you're being too fussy.

If the repairs hadn't been done to a good enough standard and everything repainted, and you couldn't hear it or test it, and it's a 1600 single clock saloon without sunroof  I don't think i would chance best part of £10k on it either, even though the shiny black paint and clean original interior did look particularly striking in the photos.

Jon

The Wings are best fitted with the Bonnet still on the car so you can line everything up properly with the door and sill before the final welding.

Some of the reproduction wings may well not be the correct profile either, which obviously won't help.

It's still a very nice car and with a bit of fettling will no doubt give the new owner great pleasure

Gary