Another low mileage one listed on E-Bay

Johnny

It looks like the first owner had the car for 50 years, so if the current owner is the third owner which is how it reads then not long?

I did request more photo's of the interior, boot and dashboard which they have added to the listing and it all looks in good fettle and original, no photo's of the underside have been added though.

The paintwork looks very flat and the M.O.T. History reads like the chassis needed repairs to pass in the past.

I don't see any mention of Overdrive which puts me off, to view or not to view that is the question?

Gary

I've asked the vender to contact me on my Mobile via E-Bay so I can try and find out a bit more, the M.O.T. History looks like it goes back to the mid 70's so maybe the mileage could be genuine?

The car is 56 years old and it looks like its never been restored, so unless it's been fastidiously looked after, the chances are there will be rust and other mechanical issues.

Only a viewing will confirm.

Gary    

I know its probably a big ask of a seller but if I was spending that kind of money I would want to do a compression test and oil pressure check if no gauge is fitted. Both these tests are quick and easy if you take the relevant gear with you...

I've had some further e-mail correspondence off the Vendors Wife or Daughter (Not sure which), the owner is 82 and it would appear I was correct about the flat paintwork, it sounds like it needs respraying?

I've now gone off the idea of travelling 400+ miles over a Bank holiday weekend🙁

I've had a kind offer by someone I know via the Vitesse Facebook Group to view the car for me, he lives locally so I reckon I'll get him to go and have a look and advise me

Someone else is also viewing it at the weekend so I've been informed, they may well make an offer for it the vendor can't refuse, who knows.  

Gary 

3 minutes ago, johny said:

If it needs a respray and youre not going to do it yourself Id add the cost to the budget and get one thats already been done....

Yes, I know how much you can pay for Resprays, even if you try and do some of the preparatory work yourself?

I'll wait and see what feedback I get but it doesn't look hopeful?

Gary

On 25/08/2023 at 14:12, johny said:

yes the good ol days with a wodge of cash! Not the same now waving your phone and saying youll do a bank transfer but a bit safer I suppose😁

It's far simpler these days. I've sold two in recent years, buyer turns up, likes the car, transfers money on the spot and arranges Insurance over his phone, and off he goes. No leaving deposits and frantically trying to get arrangements made.

On 24/08/2023 at 10:36, johny said:

Yes always a bit suspicious of buying from buyers of long ownership cars as they can be flipping them with a bit of a tart up and price increase. Still looking is learning....

Even more suspicious of short-time owner sales. How many cars have we seen sell online then turn up a week later for sale at twice the price of last week? It's always funny to see the new seller claiming ownership of so many years, too.

The car was sold on E-Bay yesterday for the asking price

I had a friend from the Vitesse Facebook group I know who lives locally inspect the car for me on Saturday (Thanks Chris)

He told me it was in excellent original condition, drove very well when he went on the Test Drive being tight and rattle free and to quote him "I would have bought the car Gary for the £8k asking price if I didn't already own one"

The reason for the sale was the elderly owner had recently lost his licence so couldn't drive anymore

Two things put me off, the main one was the fact it needed a respray and also no Overdrive was fitted

I know how expensive professional resprays can be, even if you do some of the removing and replacement of the Lights, trim etc, I also know I would end up spending even more money on re-chroming, new Lights, Etc to match the shiny paint.

So the search goes on, details on a nice car located in the Channel Islands have been sent to me, it was a UK Car exported out there a few years ago apparently and was professional restored, I've asked again for more photo's and info on the Restoration and the Company that did it, nothing as yet.

However, I've read you may have to pay 20% V.A.T. if I return the car back to the UK but I'm not 100% sure if this is correct, anyone know the laws on paying V.A.T. on re-imported cars?

Gary  

Edited by Gary Flinn

On 29/08/2023 at 14:50, johny said:

The blue one for 12k is too expensive then Gary? You would have spent that on the other with a respray....

Johny

Do you mean the Valencia Blue one listed in the classified Ads?

If so, I'm put off by the tatty interior and a number of other issues, £12K isn't over my budget and I am willing to pay more for the right car. 

I've also been sent a load more photo's and information on the Royal Blue one in the Channel Isle's, again there are a number of issues I have with this one too!

My trouble is I'm too fussy, I need to be patient and keep looking

Gary  

Edited by Gary Flinn

Well you'll wait along time for a perfect one and Id rather negotiate on the price because of the interior than a respray or other major works (ad does say 'or best offer'). Its been on sale quite a while plus any inspection is always a learning opportunity....

19 hours ago, johny said:

Well you'll wait along time for a perfect one and Id rather negotiate on the price because of the interior than a respray or other major works (ad does say 'or best offer'). Its been on sale quite a while plus any inspection is always a learning opportunity....

I'm not expecting to find a Perfect one, if one actually exists?

My holy grail would be a one owner car (Are there any left I wonder?) with all original bodywork and lowish mileage.

The 2nd choice is a fully restored one, that's been completed to an excellent standard to original spec, I don't mind some Modifications, Alloys, better seats, Telescopic damper conversions to the rear of a Mk2, Etc.

This car below was spotted by a mate at a recent classic car meet near Gloucester, this looks like it ticks most of the boxes for me.

I did talk to the owner at the Stafford TSSC Show about 12 years or so ago and he said it was low miles and original, although it had been subjected to some restoration work and a respray by Jigsaw the Triumph restoration people

Looking at the current road Tax status it would seem it was sold in 2017

Does Anyone know the owner?

Gary

Damson Vitesse.jpg

Edited by Gary Flinn