Problems fitting new rubber bumpers to my Herald 13/60

deefer

Ok so I gave in and purchased some gleaming new rubber bumpers for my Herald. I've managed to get the old set off the car but fitting the new ones looks like it's not going to be too easy. Any suggestions or tips to make it easier? Or if anyone has a burning desire to dHelp me fit them, give me a shout. Lunch or a couple of pints in it as a thank you!

You need to put your location!

But general tips. Warm them up, for a while so they are warm right through. That will help flexibility.

Use some lubricant, tyre paste if you have it (doubtful) or slightly diluted washing up liquid. But that needs washing off immediately.

Prepare the retaining strips well. Plenty of rubbing down/wire brushing and rust treatment, followed by primer and tipcoat. And then thin wax stuff in all the seams after. The strips are a notorious rust trap.

Saturdays are the time I spend on the cars. You are always welcome to drop in, I have a Saturday regular here too. Who happens to be brilliant at all things mechanical, including gearboxes, diffs etc

Drop me a pm if interested (I am close to Hove Park. Well equipped garage, many spares and a decent kettle)

• 3 months later...

So, update re my new bumpers. Having enlisted the very kind help of Pete and Clive a couple of months back on a sunny but freezing Saturday afternoon, on which we tried and tried to fit the bumpers but had no joy. I had another attempt to fit them after that but still failed miserably, so I contacted the people that resprayed my car a couple of years back for some advice, as they'd removed and refitted the bumpers at the time. I ended up booking the car in with them and for one hour's labour charge, the car is now wearing his brand new gleaming white bumpers. I guess now I owe it to him to finish the job off with a set of shiny new chrome end caps!

As he did his apprenticeship on Triumphs, I'd have a guess at insider knowledge mixed with brute force! I'm just glad that they're now in situ on the vehicle so the money I spent on them isn't wasted while they languish unused on the garage floor.

Too many people try to slide them on from one end, this won't work. Hook them over the top edge in the position you require them then lie underneath and hook the underside in place while you, if possible, press or pull down on the top edge - or get someone else to push them down for you as you work underneath. Lubricate with wet freshly sprayed Waxoyl as you go. The greasier, the easier, as they say.