Herald 1200 rocker cover breather confusion

Morgana

Previous owner installed an alloy rocker cover with a vented cap, and a spigot by the carburettor which has a press-fit little air filter on. The angled rigid breather pipe on the cylinder block is present. Despite reading a few threads on here, I'm unsure how all this interacts, and with the additional little filter looking very oily and sorry for itself I wonder if there's a better solution.

1200s didn't have the rocker cover takeoff, their crankcase was vented through the angled pipe on the side of the block. 13/60s have a take-off from the rocker to the air filter housing of the Stromberg Carb to actively draw the pressure out as the engine runs, so this is what the small pipe on the rocker cover is for.

Is your car running ok as is? It may be letting air in but might not make too much difference, in the standard setup removing the oil cap as the engine runs increases the revs but your carb may have been adjusted to compensate for the non-standard cap and rocker cover. You have the option of blanking that take-off completely, plug the hole as opposed to having a small filter, or else get a proper 1200 rocker cover just to get things as they were originally, as long as the angled pipe isn't damaged or blocked and so pressure can escape without blowing out through seals etc. The carb mixture may require readjustment if anything is disturbed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. The car's been apparently fine, as it's been like this since my ownership. It was very poorly set up on purchase last year, so is now properly set with valves and timing and a new distributor from Distributor Doctor, as well as a filter-regulator to overcome the high fuel pressure even with gaskets behind the pump body. The carburettor had been overtightened so was dished on the bottom and had to be flattened back to seal to the manifold. It's been reliable, and has made it around Ireland and been my only daily car during this time, but has needed quite a lot of carburettor tweaks which I've put down to unreliable fuel pressure and probably worn carb parts. Another thread on here has suggested I check the slow running jet for the lumpiness I was experiencing just before it went up on stands to sort the handbrake, where it remains as I take the bus...

As I've got it in my mind to fix things, the little filter on the breather hole is now very blackened and oily and if it doesn't even need to be there I'd rather put the original rocker cover back. It may even be in the spares that came with the car. I guess the PO decided the shiny new one was more appealing.

Does the old rocker cover require a special filler cap? I seem to remember reading about one packed with gauze.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I can't see an original rocker cover so I guess I'll be on the lookout, and will probably plug the hole for now. Is the cover shared with any other cars so I can cast my net wider? Is there anything I can do to the angled pipe to check it's OK, apart from poking it?

you could just remove the small filter and add a length   of hose to  breather lower below the engine 

there is an advantage with an alloy cover in that it takes on engine heat and doesnt get cooled by the fan so it is far less likely to generate hair cream/mayo 

that you will get with a tin cover and short runs

Pete

On 19/09/2023 at 11:49, Pete Lewis said:

you could just remove the small filter and add a length   of hose to  breather lower below the engine 

there is an advantage with an alloy cover in that it takes on engine heat and doesnt get cooled by the fan so it is far less likely to generate hair cream/mayo 

that you will get with a tin cover and short runs

Pete

I'm not sure what you mean, Pete. Are you suggesting to connect the hose to the angled pipe breather, or leave it dangling?

Thank you, @Colin Lindsay - I'd spotted that one but didn't have the experience to know if it really were for the right engine! I thought the filler cap spout looked too tall and I imagined it punching through the bonnet...

The Herald 1200 rocker box has a large oil filler cap which contains oil socked wire gauze. It vents directly into the air through holes on its underside. It works in conjunction with the crankcase breather on the side of the engine. The service notes say that you wash out the cap with petrol, leave to dry and then re-fill with engine oil. If I remember every 6,000 miles. Basically you need a bigger washable filter on the end of the pipe coming out of the alloy rocker box. 

Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dave.vitesse said:

The Herald 1200 rocker box has a large oil filler cap which contains oil socked wire gauze. It vents directly into the air through holes on its underside. It works in conjunction with the crankcase breather on the side of the engine. The service notes say that you wash out the cap with petrol, leave to dry and then re-fill with engine oil. If I remember every 6,000 miles. Basically you need a bigger washable filter on the end of the pipe coming out of the alloy rocker box. 

Dave

I'd actually forgotten that!! Too much working with 13/60s has clogged the brain cells. :( I was picturing the large two-cap type thingie that the 6 cylinders have, and forgot all about the 1200 breather cap.

Edited by Colin Lindsay

Some clarification there, thanks.

That eBay cover would need the special filler cap, then. What's the purpose of filling the gauze section with oil?

Currently, the angled pipe is present but the rocker cover still has the vent spigot. The filler cap has a small hole in so I think is vented. Won't having all these vents upset the original purpose of the setup with the angled pipe?

The current filter is not washable. I've tried in various solvents, but it's all pressed together so I can't get in to get the stuff out, unless I'm just not trying hard enough. It's this type. Anything larger will be impossible to fit behind the carburettor, so the only option would be remote mounting with a hose.

On 09/09/2023 at 14:05, Colin Lindsay said:

Posh cars such as the GT6 had the gauze cap but us poor folk don't need one.

My GT6 is even posher, don't ya know.

It has no gauze, but a system of interleaved plates fitted in a raised block on top of the cover. They don't need cleaning, but It's a mk dependant rocker cover.

image.png.2f911fde087c2fa673b5ce50dffae1be.png

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

3 hours ago, Morgana said:

Some clarification there, thanks.

That eBay cover would need the special filler cap, then. What's the purpose of filling the gauze section with oil?

Currently, the angled pipe is present but the rocker cover still has the vent spigot. The filler cap has a small hole in so I think is vented. Won't having all these vents upset the original purpose of the setup with the angled pipe?

The current filter is not washable. I've tried in various solvents, but it's all pressed together so I can't get in to get the stuff out, unless I'm just not trying hard enough. It's this type. Anything larger will be impossible to fit behind the carburettor, so the only option would be remote mounting with a hose.

The oil traps dust and small particles so they don't enter the engine. It was the best solution back in the day, same as the oil-bath air filters. You can buy those caps new, they're used on the TR range as well.

the small hole in the cap it to allow atmospheric pressure changes from not making leaks when left staic 

only of use in sealed/semi seal breathers 

of no consequence when used with open breathers like the herald of the day 

the alloy cover is better at reducing tappet noise and mayo /condensation problems  so just fit a small filter as you have (keep it clean )  or just tube the fumes to below the engine zone its simple  and get some sleep , its not something you need to worry about

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all. I wasn't able to find a hose of the right diameter or a filter before a few days of several hundred miles, so it's just been venting from the spigot with no ill effects. I'm on the lookout for a plug or washable filter, as routing a pipe down past all the exhaust bits might easily end up with a melted hose.

Saying that, I've just noticed in the workshop manual that the picture of the original rocker cover has the filler cap at the front of the engine. My filler is at the back. Is there anything preventing me from flipping the rocker cover end for end so the filler is at the front, and then the spigot will point out to the left, leaving plenty of room for a filter, hose or what have you.

• 2 weeks later...

Alas, the holes are off-centre so it can't be mounted back to front. On with the plug, or I get good at TIG welding and cut it off. Although. Canley have original secondhand covers listed...

I noticed a lot of oil covering the bottom of the engine (more than the usual 'rust prevention system') when replacing the exhaust downpipe gasket, and realised the rocker cover gasket wasn't sealing properly (as well as the continuous leak behind the fuel pump). The gasket is a thick, yet narrow, cork one which I think is not suitable for the alloy rocker cover as far as the parts advice on the supplier websites goes.

Most of the alloy rockers come with a purpose-made seal, as the originals usually have rounder corners and so the profile is slightly different. You can buy silicone versions, or else just holdout for either a period-correct rocker cover, which the gaskets will fit, or the correct alloy cover gasket. 

Yes, the faces are the problem. The alloy's flat and the tall, narrow cork one on there has been bent over the inner edge of the cylinder head so it's not sealing square around the flat mating surfaces. I read on here some disappointed experiences with the club's neoprene one, so was considering Rimmer's thin rubber/cork offering for alloy covers which is also cheaper. I'm also a sucker for cork as it's a wonder material. Perhaps an autojumble will throw up an old undistorted rocker cover for the future, though the alloy one feels quite robust. If it weren't for that silly spigot...

ive used a club one ( we were part of the idea to get some made )   for years on two cars  they are problem free

if they get adhered and you rip it off then i guess it will stretch or worse   they are quite thin but mine have been reused a good few times without issue

club shop are half the rimmers £28

6cly £14,40   4cyl  £12  inc vat

Pete

geg413neo.jpg?itok=NyPyEbfa