Stromberg Jet Upgrade?

Roger

and as for Triumph manuals giving odd clues  strombergs always used an alloy sealing washer never a fibre one 

and if some plonker wants to suggest in a manual then they should back that up with a dimension for the thickness to a design /engineered tolerance 

the 18mm is as we have said achievable by bending the float arm 

long live the basics !!!!   they work 

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks johny, Pete and Doug. Yes Pete, probably over worrying. Car running really well and have not touched/messed with carbs for ages.

But, I had to mess! and took plug out to have a look at colour. 1,3,4,6, pretty normal. No 2 very sooty, no 5 white. this was after about the last 4 miles of slow traffic/idling, after a good M way run.

Got a few ideas to investigate first, though was idly wondering about float height (though that would affect all the cylinder's fed from that particular carb anyway, I assume)?

Would be very happy to hear that I'm probably worrying about nothing. PLEASE!

fuel heights will affect how  each carb fuels 

but if its running ok some variance in plug colour/sooting  on an odd  plug is more likely down to the sparks and the conditions of combustion /valves /rings/guides./dizzy/breathers etc

dont read all the waffle we put on here as a doctors almanac or you get all the problems self inflicted  Ha !!

sleep easy  Pete

Well the flooding is finally sorted! I DID find some tiny rubber slivers last time I took them apart. I had to use a magnifying glass to find them they where extremely small, but I guess they don't have to be big in order to cause problems. I have quite a lot of jets, both used ones taken from old carbs that I bought and newish ones from carb kits. I read somewhere that it might improve things if you tap the tip of the jet with a small hammer, and some people suggest to lap the jets by turning the tip and use a slightly abrasive paste of some sort. I have tried both, but unfortunately I have poor traceability regarding which jets I have been "improving" and which I have not touched. It is quite possible that I have "mended them to destruction" by doing this, and the jets I that tried this time where ok. The only thing I haven't toched at all is the pump and the pressure regulator (2,2 PSI at carb). I guess I will never know the true root cause, but as long as they don't flood I can live with that uncertainty... Thanks all for your help.

pleased you have some solution and not knowing why or what is all part of the fun 

many have bag fulls of used /unused replacements kept for the "what if"   and never use them all.

its a trait of it may be useful one day   be it needle valves or odd bits of wood 

glad you have got the smile back 

Pete

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Roger said:

Well the flooding is finally sorted! I DID find some tiny rubber slivers last time I took them apart. I had to use a magnifying glass to find them they where extremely small, but I guess they don't have to be big in order to cause problems. I have quite a lot of jets, both used ones taken from old carbs that I bought and newish ones from carb kits. I read somewhere that it might improve things if you tap the tip of the jet with a small hammer, and some people suggest to lap the jets by turning the tip and use a slightly abrasive paste of some sort. I have tried both, but unfortunately I have poor traceability regarding which jets I have been "improving" and which I have not touched. It is quite possible that I have "mended them to destruction" by doing this, and the jets I that tried this time where ok. The only thing I haven't toched at all is the pump and the pressure regulator (2,2 PSI at carb). I guess I will never know the true root cause, but as long as they don't flood I can live with that uncertainty... Thanks all for your help.

One thing Roger, are you talking about the float valves when you say jets? As Im sure you know, the jets are the tubes where the needles slide to control the amount of fuel delivered to the air being drawn into the engine👍

Glad problem solved but Im not sure about those tricks for 'improving' float valves😁 

1 hour ago, johny said:

are you talking about the float valves when you say jets?

It must be obvious to anyone reading my posts that English is not my first language. I use some weird expressions. I frequently have to Google to find out the correct name for the part. However, using the "correct" term can sometimes cause confusion on forums until I found out the equivalent slang word used by everyone exept me 🙂 Thanks for correcting me Johny. I'm not offended in any way when people do that. On the contary it helps a lot when I try to improve my English and reduce my lingual handicap. The better I can explain the problem, the better support I get.

Can someone explain to me why the float valves below are called a JET in the ad?

image.png.74756546b4108e55f7d2ee709cc94b5d.png

1 hour ago, Roger said:

explain to me why the float valves below are called a JET in the ad?

must be the dreaded fibre washer thats it 

all a bit like my typing   3000 letters a  minute  if you want it in words  about 25 seems right  Ha!

I wouldnt worry we all get the gist of whatever is said ...with a pinch of salt as they  say 

sorry you have jet lag  !!!!

Pete

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roger said:

🙂Can someone explain to me why the float valves below are called a JET in the ad?

Ha, you already know English is set up to confuse people! In this case I can only think Gross Jet is just their marketing name but its definitely a valve of some sort...