Stromberg Jet Upgrade?

Roger

Flooding Strombergs must be one of the most common topic on this and other Triumph forums. I have lost count of how many times it has happened to myself despite doing everything "by the book". I know Strombergs can be very reliable and efficient carbs once assembled and adjusted properly. Getting there is the challenge... It seems like the moon and the stars has to align, and the wind must blow in the right direction when you assemble them. If not they will flood. I must have poor feng shui in my garage, they are flooding again.

These jets are sold as an upgrade. Looks good to me. Has anyone here tried them?

image.png.ab4a84efdd0070a5ba0d855e7a2f938c.png

No experience with those although have read some less than favourable comments on them. The only time my standard set up carbs have flooded its been down to dirt in the system and since a clean up plus installation of a fuel filter Ive had no further problems, even using an after market pump... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, johny said:

The only time my standard set up carbs have flooded its been down to dirt in the system and since a clean up plus installation of a fuel filter Ive had no further problems, even using an after market pump... 

Thanks Johny, I'm well aware of those dreaded rubber slivers and other particles that can cause flooding. At work we have clean rooms according to ISO class 7, I can assure that they are as clean as they can get inside. They are spotless inside, and I don't find any slivers or particles either when taking them apart. That's why I suspect that either the jets are leaking or the floats are leaking.

According to the supplier they have these wonderful characteristics:

The latest design of needle valves, Grose-Jets, with their modern technology don't stick open like the old needle and valve units. Two ball bearings replace the original pointed tipped device and as they constantly rotate are not prone to wearing out , becoming blocked or sticking.

yes never found slivers just fine rust powder from the tank accumulating especially in the pipe connections to the carbs just before the valves.

Sorry its a while ago I read the comments which were along the lines of being expensive for little gain. Interesting that their ad points out that the original design can wear out - mine are originals with 80k+ under their belts but I suppose they could need replacing at some stage?

5 minutes ago, johny said:

Sorry its a while ago I read the comments which were along the lines of being expensive for little gain

No worries, I did find a thread with some useful info. Apparantly some people have used them for decades without problems, and some people think they are rubbish. Most reviews are about SU's but I guess they relate to Strombergs as well, exept that I have never heard of jets with viton tips for Strombergs (?). I will wait for uncle Pete's verdict 🙂

https://www.britishcarforum.com/community/threads/to-grose-or-not-to-grose.80634/

Irrespective of the type of valve, I think they all must be susceptible to dirt/rust, which is inevitable with our bare metal steel fuel tanks.

A good clean and 20mins in the ultrasonic cleaner has always worked for me to clean standard float valves.

I always pump a bit of fuel through before refitting the valves, which should flush out any trapped crud.

Ian

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

However, are you SURE your floats are the right way up?

Thanks Ian and Doug. I don't have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, but I have consider everything else you suggest. I use the original black floats which seems to be a poka-yoke design to me. I don't need the workshop manual any more. I can remove these carbs and take them apart in less than 15 minutes. Blind folded. I'm looking for a sustainable solution that will prevent flooding, and I have tried pretty much everything exept those fancy jets.

3 minutes ago, johny said:

Have you replaced the standard valves Roger? Like anything they can wear...

Yes, bought new one a few years ago but the car has not been on the road for years, so wear not likely. Huco fuel pump which deliver max 2,5 PSI plus malpassi petrol king pressure regulator.

I had issues with flooding on my Vitesse changed the jets , full of slivers . Added Huco and fuel filter close to Cdse’s . So far working fine . I even have a modified spanner for removing the carbs , got the timing down to less than 20 mins for removal and strip down 

Paul 

to use Grose or not is the 64$ question some work well some give lots of trouble 

i have removed more than i have fitted

I have not had any stromberg flooding problems but been involved with many an SU

the valve is the last port of call but the problem could well be upstream and have a gauge to check the pump pressure 

many are not what they say and excessive psi will soon overcome either valve 

floating debris is a plague to many a fuel hose 

Pete

Like Jonny, the only problems I've had with Strombergs flooding was due to dirt. In my case these weren't rubber slivers, but probably flakes of corrosion from inside the tank.

After a good clean up plus an aftermarket filter just before the fuel pump, I had no more trouble. I had rebuilt the carbs using a kit including Viton tipped needle valves from Burlen Fuel Systems.

Nigel

Just removed the jets, not a trace of slivers, flakes or particles despite visual inspection using magnifying glass. This time I tried these "filtered" ones. No joy. I have tried them before, flooded that time too. The tip is increadibly "wobbly" on these jets. I'm still curious about those Grose jets. Feels like I have nothing to loose trying them at this point... Now I will go back to original versions and try again. I will keep you posted... Thanks for all the feedback.

DSC01212.JPG

This is driving me nuts!!!! They flooded again. Both of them. I'm clueless now, absolutely stumpt. I don't have a gauge to measure fuel pressure but how can an expensive high quality Huco low pressure (2,5 PSI) pump AND a malpassi fuel pressure regulator produce a pressure high enough to cause the flooding?! It certainly does not look like high pressure when I fill a bottle to flush the lines. Fuel pressure should be between 1,5 and 2,5 PSI, and if it is wrong pressure then it is more likely to be too LOW. If that can cause flooding??? The floats do not contain any petrol as far as I can see when I take them apart but they are the only thing I have not replaced so far. I don't find any slivers or particles whatsoever when I take them apart. Just clean petrol. I have to go for a walk, or men in white coats will soon be here.

DSC01214.JPG

DSC01215.JPG

2 minutes ago, johny said:

I suppose you could try running the pump with the bottoms off the carbs and then raise the floats manually to see if they cut off the flow at the valves

Thanks, yes I have not tried that. But it will be a very messy operation. The risk of fire makes me nervous.

Edited by Roger