Stromberg Jet Upgrade?

Roger

As you have'nt got a pressure gauge, why not try adjusting the Malpassi regulator. If you take the domed cap nut off, mark the locknut posn. before loosening, then adjust. IIRC turning it clockwise reduced fuel pressure and vice versa. I confirmed my Malpassi pressure (2.3psi) with a cheap Chinese gauge from t'internet. ( £10.00). At least then you could prove if it's an excess pressure prob?

To be honest with you I think its asking a lot of any pressure regulator without recirc back to the fuel tank to successfully control the system pressure against a closed valve which of course is the moment the float valve is most likely to leak. Their main purpose is to maintain the set pressure when driving so that the carb(s) never run out of fuel at high loads....

and the olde mechanical pump will cease to operate when the feed is cut by the float needle and justs holds line pressure produced by the spring   

what happens  with a Hucco when there is no demand , does it stop or keep  going 

im thinking the pump is the common denominator here not the Strombergs . proven by you have tackled the float needles till blue in the face and its not solved the leakage 

can yo put the old mechanical pump so youre back to a triumph design  and see how that works 

why did you need the electric pump .   ????

Pete

I think the Huco works on the same principal Pete but instead of being pulled back by the cam the spring is pulled back by a solenoid so the spring is what determines the system pressure. If the spring cant release because its not strong enough to overcome the system pressure the solenoid contact isnt made and the pump stops...

21 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

what happens  with a Hucco when there is no demand , does it stop or keep  going 

im thinking the pump is the common denominator here not the Strombergs . proven by you have tackled the float needles till blue in the face and its not solved the leakage 

can yo put the old mechanical pump so youre back to a triumph design  and see how that works 

why did you need the electric pump .   ????

Yes, the Huco stops at 2,5 PSI, it does not keep going. This is easy to verify since it makes some ticking noise which stops as soon as the carbs are full. Neither my car nor this engine had the original mechanical pump when I bought them. The Vitesse HC engine had an (incorrect) high pressure electric pump that produced more than 4 PSI (according to its manual). I choosed the Huco pump because of the poor quality of spare parts nowadays, especially anything made of rubber like a pump diaphragm. I can't go back to mechanical pump since I never had one. The reviews and ratings for the Grose jets is pretty much 50% pro and 50% say they are no good. I have not yet read a negative rating about the Huco.

The main objective with the Malpassi regulator was not to control pressure, it was the flow I wanted to have more even and less pulsating. As a side effect it would reduce pressure in case the Huco did not meet the spec and deliver higher presure than specified. Kind of redundant systems.

Another character building moment.

I finally found a cheapo pressure gauge in my garage, never used it before. HUCO should give 2,2 PSI according to spec, and I measured 2,8 PSI (Malpassi regulator not used, only the pump).
HUCO was Made in Germany and the gauge was made in Peoples Republic of China. I have more faith in the pump than the gauge.

22 hours ago, Roger said:

Thanks Nigel. I Googled  without success for Viton tipped valves for Stromberg CD 150. Could you please provide a part number or a link? Thanks!

Chris Witor supplies Viton tipped needle valves for Strombergs:

https://www.chriswitor.com/proddetail.php?prod=513702V

Other suppliers also stock them.

Nigel

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

Chris Witor supplies Viton tipped needle valves for Strombergs

Thanks Nigel, I did not realize that the "filtered" jets I tried earlier actually had Viton tips. Unfortunately it did not help in this case. I will have to look closer at the floats (leaky?) and their position. I'm also very tempted to buy those Grose jets, just out of curiosity and test them myself since the ratings are so different depending on who you ask. Slivers, contamination and too high fuel pressure seems unlikely to me at this point.

I think the upside down mistake is more likely on later carbs with the white floats with "two arms"? I use the carbs from my early 1966 HC engine which have the black float. I don't see how you can put the black one upside down, given the fact that they only have one "arm" etc. But I guess everything is possible.

DSC01221.JPG

DSC01220.JPG

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

the floats on stroms are generally solid foam so cant puncture

Well thats good news, considering that the old black floats with one arm don't seem to be available anymore, and the white ones do not fit in my carbs. At least not without some modifications.

which way up are the arm rivets

I don't have any pictures of which way they where, and they are dismantled now. Again. Quite sure the floats where in the correct position (including the 18 mm). The fact that I don't SEE any rubber slivers or flakes when I take them apart is of course not a 100% garantee that they are NOT present, but I have certainly done what I can to eliminate them. And the Viton tipped jets I tried have a fine mesh protecting the tip from particles. Dit not find anything on the mesh either.

Edited by Roger

thats good if black only fit the one way and they cant puncture 

i still have this feeling its not the floats/valve thats the problem as you have exhausted just about every possibility there and its not solve anything 

need to look outside the box   like  can you  try a gravity jockey fuel container to show they dont leak as gravity fed ???

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

can you  try a gravity jockey fuel container to show they dont leak as gravity fed ?

That would be interesting to try, but the weekend is over and work will take most of my time again. I will travel (for work) soon so there will probably a pause in the garage. Gravity fed carb will be on the “to-do list”.

I notice the needle valves, in the back of the picture, don't have washers. You've probably got them elsewhere, but if you put the valves in without them you don't get a vary good seal and fuel will leak down the thread.

Just a thought.

image.png.416b0a9e2db4216a41e80d911a812f03.png

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

18 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I notice the needle valves, in the back of the picture, don't have washers

Most CD 150 gasket kits comes with two washers for the jets. One thicker and one thin. I have tried both. I think WSM mentions that you lower the fuel level in the carb slightly by using the thicker one. I have tried both, don't know which one was the original for a Vitesse (?). Which one do you use in your carbs?

DSC01225.JPG

54 minutes ago, johny said:

The washers shouldnt affect fuel level as that is set by adjusting the float to 18mm as per the manual

I think what they mean is that if you add a washer (= thicker washer in my mind) after adjusting to 18 mm, then a thicker washer will lower the fuel level. Otherwise I don't see how it would have an impact.

DSC01227.JPG