A persistent wheel squeak

Nick Whitehead

Hi, advice please. What’s my next move?

I have a squeak on one of my wheels on a Vitesse convertible. While driving, the squeak is obvious and persistent but occasionally stops. Even with the roof down I can’t be sure which wheel.

It happens at all speeds, frequency is speed related, but stops immediately if I touch the brakes. But not if I apply hand break (suggesting front wheel?).

I’ve jacked up each wheel in turn and tried to recreate the squeak by turning the wheel by hand (front) and using the engine (rear). No squeak, and no play in the bearings. All brake callipers, pistons and pads have been replaced recently.

Any ideas? What shall I try next to diagnose my problem?

Nick

I think another look at the front brakes is in order just to check everythings tight and correct. Did the pads have their anti-squeal shims and a dab of coppaslip? I know this is generally for noise on braking but may help in normal running especially until the pads bed fully....

• Like 1

this will be pad chatter  can improve as pads bed in  may be made worse by some disc runout 

you could try Ceratec paste made by mintex   do your squeal shims have a small edge loading spring leaf ???  they can help pad clatter and 

there can be two sizes of pin hole  , too small wont fit    too large and the pads can clatter depends who supplied the pads 

i assume on the Vit these are type 16 calipers unless its had some modifications and are they std pads  or green stuff or mintex 1144  ?????

pad clatter is nothing to worry about  its just annoying   and  dont discount wheel trims  they can make a lot of clatter if not secure 

Pete

th?id=OPE.Xl63MEE4jFKbVA300C300&pid=21.1&w=174&h=174

• Like 1

Thanks Pete and Johny. When I say the pads are recently replaced, I mean in the last 500 miles or so. So they are well bedded in. Pads and callipers are standard supplied by Rimmer’s; I don’t recall the make. I’ll reinstall with some Ceratec though and see if that works.

Before that I’m going out for a road test with my son armed with a long tube to act as a stethoscope to see if I can verify which wheel…

Edited by Nick Whitehead

you can often retune the rattle with turns  , as this tends to load the disc on the outbord turn 

you may need to recheck you have less bearing hub float  but must have some  

hand nip the castle nut and back off 1 or two flats there are two spilt pin holes in the stub to get fine adjustment

the spec is 0.002" to 0.008" float   aim for as little as possible  do not reduce the float to zero or you will soon seize the bearing onto the stub axle  you dont want that to happen 

Pete

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

you can often retune the rattle with turns  , as this tends to load the disc on the outbord turn 

you may need to recheck you have less bearing hub float  but must have some  

hand nip the castle nut and back off 1 or two flats there are two spilt pin holes in the stub to get fine adjustment

the spec is 0.002" to 0.008" float   aim for as little as possible  do not reduce the float to zero or you will soon seize the bearing onto the stub axle  you don't want that to happen 

Pete

Thanks Pete, I'll check the bearing when I re-install the pads. The wheel spun freely by hand when I jacked the car up. But the fact that the squeak stops instantly when I touch the brakes suggested to me that it's not the bearing. Am I wrong? 

you are correct but excessive hub end float will create a disc wobble that may induce a rattle from the pads as it all moves about .

it is just disc and pad clearance thats why it stops as soon as you lightly touch the pedal.

when jacked hold the wheel and feel the float it should be just detectable as a loose wobble at the rim   you cant really measure it but the one flat back from a light nip is good enough.

you may even have a ring of rust on the outer periphery of the disc which needs chipping off (it flakes off easy) 

shims with edge springs look like this  and are the best for our cars ages 

Image result for pictures of disc brake pad shim

• Like 2

and while you are in there have alook at the size of pad hole and the diameter of your pins due to mix ups with metric and imperial calipers 

they should be a nice clearance not a rattling one size fits all , too many pads sold with wrong pin sizes 

club shop sell pin kits and show there are two options dont know if they have aflat shim or a side sprung one need to ask Julian at HQ

Pete

• Like 1

I had an annoying noise on my Vitesse fitted with reconditioned 16P Brake Calipers, it was more of a rattle than a squeak though.

I cured it with some additional spring loaded clips that fitted under the pins and tensioned slightly the pads, similar to these?

Gary  

Brake Pad Anti-rattle Clips.pdf

Edited by Gary Flinn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick Whitehead said:

Thanks Pete and Johny. When I say the pads are recently replaced, I mean in the last 500 miles or so. So they are well bedded in. Pads and callipers are standard supplied by Rimmer’s; I don’t recall the make. I’ll reinstall with some Ceratec though and see if that works.

My new pads and discs still not fully bedded in after 1000 miles but then maybe thats my style of driving...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nick Whitehead said:

Thanks Pete, I'll check the bearing when I re-install the pads. The wheel spun freely by hand when I jacked the car up. But the fact that the squeak stops instantly when I touch the brakes suggested to me that it's not the bearing. Am I wrong? 

I've got the pads off. They are coated on the back with something, some of which has come off and is now stuck to the anti-squeal shims.  Is that normal?

brake.jpg

some pads can have a plasticised /coating that from experience is as much use as a chocolate tea pot

i would sand that off and just use the steel shim you have and re try again 

that bubbled  crinkled finish will give you problems the simple flat shim with no relief to give the pad pressure a sort of leading edge seems pretty useless

you can see the reilief shape in my picture   they are the bee's knees in anti squeal design (in my view )

Pete

10 hours ago, Ian Foster said:

A steer on a supplier for those anti rattle shims please.

Ian  having fun club shop are flat

these show some odd wire spring still looking for what i like it was common on avengers etc in the day and i had some on my vit+type  16 s  im still looking 

image.thumb.png.7b4f1001ee993c017fe7705679e43e09.png

here is some but did marina use type 16 as per vitesse  or typpe 14s ?????  

image.thumb.png.a26a45a5df076bae2be7b7d3bb1e3aab.png

13 hours ago, Nick Whitehead said:

Squeak resolved with lubricant. Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have a 200 mile round trip to Somerset planned for the weekend and that squeak all the way would have driven me MAD!

If you find the braking a bit inadequate be aware that there are pads available which offer a worthwhile improvement...

• Like 1